Author Topic: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson  (Read 4207 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a brickwall
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
familysearch? It depends on where their information is from, however even the information from FindMyPast which goes to the PRs it seems they don't know and add both..... it is Stretton en le Field , FS and FindMyPast don't realise Stretton en le Field is one side of Leicester and Great Stretton is the opposite side
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
That's right, it was transcribed from FindMyPast. Quite a lot of the Leicestershire records are. Nonetheless, the Joseph Dobson evidence does point to Isaac and Mary Dobson as Robert's parents.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Yes it does, but 'point to' is not record proof.... and I like record proof :-\

Of course I suspect it was the same parents who had 3 Roberts, 1769, 1770, and 1772... as Stretton en le Field borders, Leicester /Derby ( Swadlincote to me is Derbyshire not Leicestershire) so potentially 3 Robert's 'baptised' Measham ( Derbyshire)/ Stretton en le Field/Great Stretton...meaning potentially 2 died, so where are the two buried?
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
I'm the same :)

There's two burials for Robert Dobson there in 1770, so I think there must be some mistake in transcribing the burials.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
They are on FindMyPast, so the PRs........ and at that time it was not unusual to name a child the same as a previous child who was ill  and they thought would die.
1st Robert bap Jan 1769 could have died and was buried on the same date as 2nd Robert 31 Oct 1770, 2nd Robert then died/buried  Nov 1770... then 1772 3rd Robert born, so 'potentially' the right age for 'our' Robert.

Interesting you have reminded me about Joseph.... more research required to see if I can see if there is anything proving Joseph bap 15 Mar 1767 is the same as the one who married Mary or Ann and living in Gumley... one married in Kibworth Beauchamp the other Enderby

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
I did consider the 2 Roberts hypothesis, and your explanation does make some sense. I haven't investigated much into Joseph other than his birth and death.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
I did consider the 2 Roberts hypothesis, and your explanation does make some sense. I haven't investigated much into Joseph other than his birth and death.

So easy to see now what research we are both getting into ;D

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
I think that its either a massive coincidence that there are two Dobsons living in Gumley that match perfectly with the christenings according to their burial information.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
Its a clue and a good starting point....... and often a good thing to be reminded to research sideways  although we all know what we should do, but 'forget' when it is our 'own'

Which is Robert and Ann's children do you descend from?