Author Topic: DIGNAN in Normanton  (Read 1712 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
DIGNAN in Normanton
« on: Monday 20 October 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
I've drawn a blank with the origins of Patrick DIGNAN, born about 1885 and married Mary Agnes SENNETT.   They married in Normanton in 1912.   He doesn't appear to be in Yorkshire in the 1911 census. I've found a couple of possibilities in other places, but neither seems to totally fit.

Are there any relatives of Patrick who know more about when and where he was born?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: DIGNAN in Normanton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
The Irish 1911 has a Patrick Dignan aged 24 living in Monaghan with mother Bridget but stepfather William Brennan

Do you have a copy of the 1912 marriage cert showing his fathers name as you could check the Irish 1901 for him?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
If he was Irish - the spelling of his surname could possibly vary.  The pronunciation would be similar   Duignan,  Deignan,  Degnan for example
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Yes, I am aware of the variant spellings in Ireland.  I have also requested a copy of the marriage certificate, because its going to be the only way to narrow down the right Patrick Dignan.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate obtained, showing Patrick as a coalminer, father Michael.  So that rules out the policeman in Lancashire in the 1911 census.  Further checking of the 1911 census in Normanton shows a John Digman at the same address as was given for Patrick on the marriage cert, and Fiona from the Dignan One Name Study (Guild of One Name Studies) has come up with a possibility in Roscommon in Ireland.   So I think I have probably got about as far as I can with that at the moment.

Offline Thomas Carty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Celtic fanatic, and the worlds slowest go-karter on record (OK, Im fast but crash WAY too often).I know how to swear in more languages than I know how to say
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Did you try Duignans of Leitrim and Longford? A lot of them went to England, and one in particular to America.
Carty
Donohoe
Reilly (of Molly)
Drake
Hourican
Coyle
Mullanniffe

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks for your suggestions.  I have now found this chap.   Turns out he decided to call himself Jack, rather than Patrick (apparently because he thought it sounded more english and he would be more likely to get work).  A little bit of extra info from extended family, another search, and I now have him firmly placed in the family tree.