Author Topic: Frayne's of County Wexford  (Read 4404 times)

Offline gwendythedigger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frayne's of County Wexford
« on: Monday 20 October 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Good Morning from the US RootsChatters,

I am seeking to verify some information written by David Goodall "Frayne's of Co. Wexford" in the Irish Genealogist in 1970.  Vol 4 Issue 3.  He identified the descendancy of Michael Frayne who was in some way related to Richard Saunders.  He listed the descendants of Michael Frayne using sources that included the burials at Saunders Court Co. Wexford and the Ferns Marriages.  One of the descendants is Saunders Frayne who died in 1836 who married a Mary Boardman.  If the burial information is correct Saunders Frayne would have been born (forgive the error as I am not by my research materials) about 1758 in Saunders Court. 

Having traced my American lineage to Co. Wexford through American sources (emigration date at about 1853 for two, 1851 for the other), then ruling out the other known Fraynes from Griffith's Valuation, I believe that Goodall's descendancy information is my lineage.  However, there is one caveat to the information.  Mary Boardman died Augusta, Georgia US.  I have found absolutely no evidence that Sanders Frayne ever arrived in the US.  Mary's records in Augusta show her as having been born about 1790 or 1798.  (No exact birth records date has been found with these early American Fraynes as early birth recording was not required).  The Ferns Marriage information says that Sanders and Married around 1814.  This would have placed Sanders at 56 years old at the time of marriage.  While it is not uncommon for a man to marry a younger woman at that time, I question the validity of the association between the marriage record at Ferns to the burial information as Saunders Court Co. Wexford. 

Mary Boardman Frayne resided with her children (4 of them) in Augusta Georgia US from about 1853 to her death in 1872.  Her children Walter, Richard, Saunders all died within 2 years of her.  Except Jacob who appears to have been the black sheep of the family, he died in 1889 after murdering a man of Augusta.  My great grandfather was five when his mother also passed away, an orphan whose guardianship was hotly sought after by many prominent businessmen/women.  (Apparently the estate was worth 14 thousand dollars in 1872.). I mention this to explain that all that was left by way of genealogical information is a family chart compiled by my grandmother between 1965 and 1970 after her husband George Frain passed at the age of 57 in 1957.  This family chart claimed that the spouse of Mary Boardman was Richard Alexander Frayne.  In researching this family for over 20+ years, I have never found any mention of the husband of Mary Boardman Frayne in the United States.  Thus the only document I have to go from is the recollection of the family. 

In short, either Goodall's record is in error, or the family recollection is in error. 

I still believe that the Augusta Georgia family is related to the Saunders Frayne of Saunders Court Co. Wexford.  However it may be that Mary Boardman married the son of Saunders Frayne of Saunders Court (likely also named Saunders or quite likely Richard) and that they lived in Oulart or (again forgive potential errors here) Meelnaugh, Garra?. 

This information is also based off the same family chart that states Mary Boardman has a sister by the name of Elizabeth who married Edward Stephens.  One of Edwards children was named Elias.  (In a curious twist, Mary Boardmans son Saunders Alexander Frayne went back to Ireland after arriving in Augusta to marry the daughter of Elizabeth Boardman Stevens, and brought her back to Augusta, the newspaper notice of Jacob and Sanders Frain aboard a steamer bound from the New York Port, to Charleston South Carolina also included a Miss Mary A Stevens.  Also named Mary. If his information is correct then they were first cousins.) The Tithe Applotment 1833 books have show the following in Oulart, Meelnaugh Charles Boardman, Sanders Frayne, and Elias Stephens within a short few lines of each other.  Using naming patterns, Elias Stevens would have likely been related to Edward Stevens. 

Is it possible that Saunders Frayne of Saunders Court move to Meelnaugh after the birth of his two children Sarah and Joseph?  (1817 and 1818 respectively). (The same family chart shows two unnamed children.)

Simplified:
Richard Alexander Frain (or perhaps Saunders Frayne??) b. abt 1758 Saunders Court, Wexford, Ireland, Md. Mary Boardman abt 1814, d. 15 Feb 1836. 

Mary Boardman b. abt 1790 or 1798 in Ireland, d. bef 31 Jan 1872 Augusta, Richmond, Georgia, USA

Children:
Sarah Frayne (b. 1817 - )
Joseph (b. 1818 - )
Walter Sanders Frain (b. abt 1827 Co. Wexford, Ireland - d. 8 Dec 1870, Augusta, 1st Ward Jail, Richmond, Georgia, USA)
Richard Fraine (b. abt 1828, Ireland d. 27 Nov 1871, Augusta, Richmond, Georgia, USA)
Sanders Alexander Frain (b. abt 1835 Co. Wexford, Ireland - d. bef. 17 Apr 1870, Augusta, Richmond, Georgia, USA)
Jacob Sanders Frain (b. abt 1834 Co. Wexford, Ireland - d. 4 Oct 1889, Augusta, Richmond, Georgia, USA)

I know that they were CofI, as they were Protestants in America.  So what other way is there to either verify or disprove the information?

Based off this information would you agree that there is an error somewhere?
GTD

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Frayne's of County Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Two points:

- Oulart and Meelnagh (sp?) may be entirely consistent. They both have different meanings and extents.
Oulart can mean one or other of four different levels of area: Oulart village, Oulart townland, Oulart Catholic parish and Oulart district (e.g. post office district).
Similarly, Meelnagh is a townland, and was also formerly also a civil parish. Meelnagh is, I believe, within Oulart parish and district.

- Are you saying that the evidence for a 1812 marriage of Saunders Frayne and Mary Boardman is Ferns marriage licenses? The published index with which I am familiar ends in 1806, and the original licenses are all lost, so all that remains is the index. However, there may be other indices other than the published one - you should check Goodall's original reference for this.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline squnk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frayne's of County Wexford
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
I presume you know there was a Walter Saunders Frayne from Bormont (near Enniscorthy, Wexford) interred in St Matthew's churchyard, Irishtown Dublin in 1835 (He was aged 23)
Wargent
James