Author Topic: Perkins families from Nottingham c. 1800-1900.  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Perkins families from Nottingham c. 1800-1900.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
Who did Alfred marry? I have details of 3 possible marriages, to Sarah or Louisa (both Sneinton) or Catherine (Basford); but baptisms which all predate these marriages, parents Alfred and Elizabeth (all Sneinton - and none of those was George Alfred John!). I can supply more details if you want but I might not geet online again for a couple of days.

Was this George's wife Mary?
Burial
1885 11 11   Mary Ann   PERKINS   70   3 Pleasant Row   Sneinton St.Stephens    abode Carlton Rd.   
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie, Thank you for your interest.  George Perkins b.1815 D St James married Mary Clarke 1835 Radford Nottingham.  George died aged 61 15/9/1875 in the Union Workhouse Nottingham.  I would very much like to know where he might have been buried.  Mary Perkins nee Clarke died 9/2/1890 in Birmingham aged 77, ( I am looking for her burial too).  I have the baptism & marriage records plus the death certificates for both.  I would like to know more about Mary Clarke, baptised 9/5/1813).  I think her parents were Thomas Clarke 1783-1839 & Elizabeth Dewick 1788-1824, married 30/12/1806 all in Nottingham.  Any help here would be great.

George & Mary had Alfred 7/9/1844 in Nottingham before moving to Birmingham.  He married in Kings Norton Birmingham in 1864.  Alfred moved his family to Hackney London and George Alfred John Perkins (my maternal grandfather) was born 10/11/1882.  He died in 1959 and is buried in Chingford London.  He was clearly named George after his grandfather, Alfred after his father & John after his great grandfather.

John Perkins b. (abt 1789 D St James?), married 22/4/1810 in Nottingham to Hannah Richards b.1/1/1789 Nottingham.  Both died in Nottingham, John 13/11/1849 & Hannah 6/9/1867. Again I would like to find where they were buried.  John & Hannah had a lot of children both in D St James and Nottingham, including a John c.1810 & George 1815.  Although George's baptism shows his mother as Elizabeth I am certain it is in fact Hannah as two of John's sons were staying with George in 1851 in Birmingham and are shown as nephews!   I apologise if any of this you would rather not know, but if you are interested I would be very pleased to learn more.  Brian Townsend. Wales.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Both John & Hannah are buried at St Stephens, Snienton

Hannah Perkins 9.9.1867 aged 78 Eldon St
John Perkins 15.11. 1849 aged 59 Old Snienton

A few years ago I did some research for my cousin's husband who's family name was Perkins.
His line also led back to John Perkins & Hannah Richards through their son Matthew who was born in Market Deeping in 1816. 

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunflower, thank you for the information regarding John & Hannah's burial place,  I will try now to visit.  Did you find any information on Matthew's grandparents, what their names were and where they were born/baptised and married?  I have a feeling it was a Richard & Elizabeth.  I also believe it is possible that the Perkins originally came from Warwickshire.  All guess work, but very interesting when something fits!!  Best wishes.  Brian.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

I believe his grandparents were Richard Perkins & Elizabeth Lightfoot who married in Deeping 26 Nov 1787.  The marriage entry states they were bac & spinster and witnessed by William Gardner & James Howson. Elizabeth's  abode Deeping.  I didn't get any further back I'm afraid.
There is a Richard Perkins baptised 6 Oct 1760, but I eliminated him as he died the same day.

Regards
Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 October 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again "sunflower", thank you for the information on the marriage of Richard Perkins & Elizabeth Lightfoot.  Is this something I could print?  I am a member of Ancestry, but haven't found this record there.  I am quite keen to know/find where George Perkins B.1815 was buried.  He died in the union workhouse in Nottingham.  Would they have had a regular burial place?  Any information on the Perkins would, as always, be much appreciated.  As Matthew Perkins was George's brother I must be a cousin of his descendants.  I am always very interested to know how and where they are!  Best wishes.  Brian.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 October 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

The marriage was from Freereg site
http://www.freereg.org.uk/index.shtml

There is a burial for a George Perkin 28.5. 1839 aged 23, Union Workhouse, buried at Edingley St Giles.  Could that be him?  In the note section is says Southwell

Deeping St James parish records are covered well on various sites
http://dustydocs.com.au/county-page/d/1/england/22/lincolnshire.html#townDirect

I will send you a PM

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 October 14 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Trish, I never really replied to your two messages.  You had got it dead right when you found the information in the 1851 census.  "My" George Perkins was the sibling of John Richard, Matthew etc.  Clearly a mistake at his baptism.  Maybe his father, John was thinking of his mother, Elizabeth!  Who knows, but I'm happy with the "nephews" link.  Thank you again for detailing all the information you did, it was much appreciated.  Cheers.  Brian.