Author Topic: Joseph Christopher Columbus  (Read 4000 times)

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Christopher Columbus
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 October 14 07:58 BST (UK) »
As an after thought, if there is anything that I can do to assist any of you in your research, please, just ask me and I will do my best.  I cannot say thank you enough.  Lesley

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 October 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Ah, just remembered something about foundlings in Italy, relating to why he might not know his mother's name/gave his father's name as the same as his:

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Italian_Infant_Abandonment
Colombo was a common foundling surname, apparently particularly common around Milan. 
(of course he might have inherited it from an earlier generation).

The Queensland Archives says this of the G. C. Colombos record in 1882 I found:
Queensland Votes and Proceedings often contain lists of people who took the Oath of Allegiance to be naturalised:
    Votes and Proceedings A - Z 1880-1885 (PDF, 65KB)
These records are available on microfilm in the Public Search Room at Runcorn, and at the State Library of Queensland.

I don't know if any further information would be found there, though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 October 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.  Isn't it sad.  It hadn't even crossed my mind.  I am going to keep digging anyway.  You never know what you will find.  I have found out so much since my first post.  It is nice to come across people who are so willing to help

Offline Sacbris1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 December 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

I would love to chat, Joseph is my gg grandfather. I believe he came from one of the Italian Islands. He was a fireman on boats, and then had a fish and chip shop in the valley and Petrie Tce. I know abut about the children etc.
Thank you
Jason
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mysticmoon1982

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 00:24 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

My great great Grandfather was Nicholas Columbus (also could of been spelt) Kolomvos to my knowledge, Joseph and Nicholas are cousins and they both were crew members on the ship when they arrived in Brisbane. Nicholas jumped ship and left for New Zealand arriving in Canterbury and Joseph stayed in Brisbane.. We have no records on Nicholas parents only that his named could be possibly G Kolomvos/ Columbus born and possibly a tavern owner in Greece. I would love any further information if you do have it. I am on ancestory.com and have DNA matches but no further information. Please feel free to PM me if you anyone like chat about this link. Kindest regards Susan.