Author Topic: Who is Jean McNair Macmillan ? born about 1887  (Read 7288 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Jean McNair Macmillan ? born about 1887
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is only pay to view. It is the window to the General Register Office for Scotland (GROS) and provides access to BMDs either in way of images online (purchased via credits) or you can use SP to request and pay for an official extract of a BMD if it is not available online if it is too recent. Cheaper to order too via SP than order direct. There are some restrictions understandably if records are too recent, see here as to what is available online or what needs to be ordered www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&413

Midlad mentioned earlier, it is great value compared to the English & Welsh costs for a BMD (never mind the delay waiting for a cert to arrive...). If you know what you are looking for, for £7 you can search and download up to 5 BMD images straight to your computer...then save and print if you need.

Also, SP is the only source of original images of the Scottish censuses. Ancestry for example have the Scottish census transcripts 1841-1901, but some info is missing from those. Always good for the important docs to work off the originals. The 1911 Scottish census is only available from SP.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
Monica
I'll follow your advice & help
kindest regards
Mike

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Completed , I went to Scotland's people and got the answers Thanks all

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 November 14 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Just my 2 cents worth of advice, but lots of people who married in the Glasgow area in the late 1800s were not residents of Glasgow at all. Argyll could still be her home. I have many Argyll connections (including MacMillan) and there was a time where it was the thing to do to go down to Glasgow to marry. I have a few marriages for my Argyll relatives who wed in Glasgow but lived in Argyll always.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull