Author Topic: Are these your heros  (Read 3002 times)

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are these your heros
« on: Wednesday 22 October 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Camborne Rugby Club are planning on remembering these men at a President's Dinner soon. The men are Captain William Blackwood who was a Dr.,Private E.Fletcher who as far as I can tell was a stretcher bearer and Sergeant J ( ?John) Phillips who was the referee at a match at the beginning of WW 1.I think the last one was connected to the school of mines. This hunt is for my daughter who helps coach the younger kids at the club. The Captain survived but,have'nt found the others as yet.
Many thanks
Barb ps the club are keen to find descendants so they can be invited.
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Are these your heros
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 15 03:33 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether Ernest Fletcher who was living in Camborne not long before the start of the war might be the man. He was a tin miner.

He was married to Emily Rule, that being her first married name (she was considerably older and had children nearly his age). I think she was Emily Jane Webb who married Jeremiah Rule in Redruth reg dist in 1888; Jeremiah likely died in 1899. A death of Emily J Webb aged 73 in 1942 in Redruth reg dist is consistent with her age, and a death there of Ernest P Webb aged 71 in 1957 would be him.

Births Jun 1886   
FLETCHER    Ernest Percival         Camberwell    1d   877

They had one child but no others, it seems. Leslie Arthur Fletcher 1909 died 1977 Truro; may have married 1928 Redruth.

The three step-children could also have descendants.

Births Jun 1889   
Rule    Bessie Jane         Redruth    5c   219
1891/1892
William Arthur Rule or William Henry Rule, Redruth
Births Sep 1895 
Rule    Albert         Redruth    5c   211

A possibility anyway, but likely too late for your event in any case!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 15 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janey,although the events past I will let my daughter see this. She is getting interested in F H.
Barb
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I meant to say wish her well!

Two years ago I discovered a newspaper article on line with the name of my great-uncle who was killed in WWI. (I google names from time to time to see whether anything new turns up that might help with our little genealogical mystery.)

It turns out that he was a member of the congregation of a church in a city here in Ontario, Canada, that burned down some years ago, and the church that the congregation then merged with was raising money to have a reproduction made of the bronze plaque that had commemorated their men lost in WWI and was destroyed in the fire. Our family (descendants of his several siblings; my great-uncle was the eldest, 34 when he enrolled, but was not married) had never known of this memorial.

The newspaper article said that the minister of the church (who is also the church's historian) was looking for family members of the deceased men and compiling personal information about them for the church's history. We corresponded a number of times (his grandfather had been in the same field hospital in France as where my great-uncle died), and finally this past November 11, for the 100th anniversary year of the war, the church dedicated the new plaque and held a special service in remembrance of the men from the two congregations. I rounded up about 15 descendants of two of his siblings, and relations of two of the other men were present, and the minister presented a slideshow with photos and stories of each of the men from the two churches.

So ... it's a worthwhile endeavour. Our family was just enormously grateful to see that our lost man was remembered that way by people we had never known.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Janey,my daughter has asked me to say thanks to you. I think she may well be starting to be infected by ancestor hunt itis
Barb
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Taylor -Birmingham