Author Topic: Macphersons of Inverness 1866 onwards  (Read 2884 times)

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macphersons of Inverness 1866 onwards
« on: Thursday 23 October 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
The children of Alexander and Jessie Macpherson nee Barron all lived in Inverness from 1867 onwards. Im looking for anyone else tracing them as my great grandmother was Flora Macpherson the 9th of their 11 children. I know they owned shops on Castle street, the antique store and a B+B but not much else. Flora moved away but as far as i can tell all the other siblings stayed in the Highlands.
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Macphersons of Inverness 1866 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello cousin! ;)
you will be pleased to know I have some information about Jessie Barron, as she is my great grandfather's sister.

To give you a very brief snapshot here is the story that led me to her parents tragic tale:

Jessie's father, James Barron (b. 1823 Alves, Moray) was the owner/manager of the Commercial Hotel in Inverness for a time.
In 1864, he committed suicide in the hotel, with a gunshot to the head.

His wife Mary (nee MacDonald b. 1827 Dores, Inverness) was left with a ruined business and at least 6 children to care for.
Jessie (your ancestor) was only 17yrs old at the time.

The mother Mary moved to Glasgow with Jessie and her sons  Alexander (my great grandfather),  William, James and Duncan before 1871, as they appear in Glasgow for that years census.
 There was another son, John, but he doesn't appear in Census records after 1861, so presumably he died as a child.

The news of James Barron's death, and the subsequent bankruptcy were published in the Inverness Advertiser newspaper (source: ambaile.org.uk). Mary had to face the legalities of the debts, and file for bankruptcy. Some of the legal standings were published in the London Gazette in 1865.

Mary Barron eventually remarried (possibly to a William MELROSE), as her name appears as "Mary Melrose" on my great grandfathers marriage certificate in 1903. The 1881 census also potentially shows her living with "William", who is 10 years her junior, as his wife.

Jessie Barron married in Tradeston, Glasgow 23 Jul 1866. But then evidently moved back to Inverness, as all census records show her there, with husband Alexander Macpherson.
He was a jeweller and appears to have carried on the trade there for many years, and some of his sons appear to have taken up the craft also. I believe their son, John Alexander Macpherson was a well known jeweller.

I have much more information, so please PM me and I can share my email address and we can go from there. :)

p.s not sure quite what relation we are, but your grandparent (child of Flora Macpherson) would be my 2nd cousin once removed!
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY