Author Topic: William Wotherspoon and Mary Waddell  (Read 3740 times)

Offline jcw3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Wotherspoon and Mary Waddell
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 April 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
With luck a third post! I'll see what happens after that.  I see that the OPR records pre 1855 do not give much (or any) information of the parentage of the bride and groom.  Must make tracing families a lot more complex.  George Waddell (b. 1806) married Grace Douglas Meuros (or Morris) in 1825.  What interests me is in what you said is that I believe her father, Edward Morris, seems to have married Janet Bryce.  I am interested in the Bryce name as a couple of generations later, Mary Cowan (Waddell) Wotherspoon has a child by a James Bryce, once William Wotherspoon had vanished off the scene.  He becomes known as James Braes Wotherspoon.  You had a Christian Bryce as the mother of John Waddell, so I wonder if it is the same Bryce family members?  I think these are all close knit, related communities in Shotts, Coatbridge, Aidrie and then drifting west into Glasgow city.

I know nothing of the PM system, you may have to help me there.
Wotherspoon
Waddell
Bryce

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Wotherspoon and Mary Waddell
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 April 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
With luck a third post! I'll see what happens after that.  I see that the OPR records pre 1855 do not give much (or any) information of the parentage of the bride and groom.  Must make tracing families a lot more complex.
Yes, it gets more difficult the further back you go.

Edward Morris seems to have married Janet Bryce.  I am interested in the Bryce name as a couple of generations later, Mary Cowan (Waddell) Wotherspoon has a child by a James Bryce, once William Wotherspoon had vanished off the scene. You had a Christian Bryce as the mother of John Waddell, so I wonder if it is the same Bryce family members?
I did wonder about that.

I know nothing of the PM system, you may have to help me there.
Look under the name of anyone who has posted to RootsChat, and you will see an icon like a sheet of paper with the corner cut off. If you click on that you will get a box in to which you can type a Private Message to that person.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What happened to William Wotherspoon?
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 April 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
William Wotherspoon married Mary Cowan Waddell in New Monkland in May 1854. She was the daughter of George Cowan Waddell and Grace Douglas Meuros and I think he was the son of Gavin Wotherspoon and Elizabeth Thomson. In all the records I have found he is described as a baker.

William and Mary had three children, Grace, born 20 April 1855; Gavin, born 15 March 1857; George, born 17 July 1859, all in New Monkland.

In 1861, Mary Waddell, widow, 29, was living in Gartsherrie with her widowed father George, her three children, various siblings and a nephew.

In 1871, Mary Wotherspoon, married, 38, was living in Gartsherrie with her father George, children Grace and Gavin, her illegitimate son James, listed as aged 4 though he would have been 5, and a nephew.

In 1881, Mary Watherspoon, married, 46, was living in Glasgow with her son James, 15 and brother George.

In 1891 Mary Wotherspoon, widow, 58, was living in Glasgow with son James, 25 and brother George.

In 1901 Mary Wotherspoon, widow, 66, was in a hospital of some sort (I can't view the address without scrolling back 5 pages at £1.50 a page!) in Dunbartonshire.

In 1903 Mary Waddell or Wotherspoon, widow, died in Kirkintilloch.
I have all the relevant census records, Mary's death certificate and Grace's birth certificate. I also have young George's death certificate. He died in 1863 in Old Monkland, aged 3, and his father is named as William Wotherspoon, baker journeyman. He is not said to be deceased, and the informant was Mary's brother John.

But I can't find what happened to William. A search for Wil* W*rsp*n, born 1834 plus or minus 2 years, produces 3 results (1861 in Glasgow, 1871 in Perth, 1891 in Glasgow), none of which is Mary's husband. I have seen all three death certificates.

If I believe the certificates, William was dead in 1861, came back to life in 1863, was alive in 1871 and 1881, and died again before 1891.

Any ideas?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to William Wotherspoon?
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
This might help with the 1901 census at Broomhill home for incurables
Mary Wotherspoon age 66
Estimated birth year 1835
Shotts Lanarkshire
Civil Parish Kirkintilloch
Dumbartonshire
Google will give you some information

Rosie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie. SP have now sent me an image of the front page of that census book since I posted originally. So I now have all the relevant details about Mary.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
That's good you have all the details then.. not seeing much for William  ???

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
No, he does seem to be rather elusive!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
No, he does seem to be rather elusive!

Find my Past are doing a free weekend might be worth a look at some census forms to see if anything pops up  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
I have free access to FindMyPast and to another site that has originals of the E and W census, and have not, so far, found him there.