Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY  (Read 9213 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of 2 tombstones - Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Norrie for adding this info  :) No mention of the sister/daughter Helen that Marshall referred to earlier from what you have? For that matter, you don't mention on there the death details of son Peter dying in NY in 1914 either that Marshall has mentioned.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of 2 tombstones - Leslie Cemetery & Cypress Hills National Cemetery NY
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
As further background here to the post:

1871:

Peter Stewart 48 Paper Mill Manager
Euphemia Stewart 44
Marion Stewart 18
Thomas Stewart 16
Ann Stewart 14
Peter Stewart 12
Helen Stewart 10
Euphemia Stewart 8
Richard Stewart 6

Address: Fettykil Paper Mill, Leslie, Fife

1881:

Peter Stewart 58 Paper Maker's Manager
Euph Stewart 54
Ann Stewart 24
Helen Stewart 20
Euph Stewart 18
Richard Stewart 16
James Edwards 4 grandson

Address: Fettykil, Leslie, Fife

Norrie, from the death details you posted from the MI, births to these parents here:

James 1850 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYW3-M7X
Janet 1869 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYRV-4N5

Member submitted entry here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/3S52-8NX

Monica

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all trying to help out.  Up to this point I have always received e-mail notices of new posts to forum topics to which I have posted, and for some reason this automatic response has stopped working, I suspect because of recent updates to my OS and browser.  Any advice on how to restart this useful feature would be appreciated.

If I had known you were making such an effort in identifying all members of the Peter Stewart - Euphemia Hamilton family I could have told you their daughter Marion was my Great-grandmother and I have spent a great deal of time and effort researching her ancestry and descendants for at least 3 generations in both directions and have also traced her siblings and their descendants, if any, for at least one generation.  What I am trying to say in as nice a way as possible is that I doubt you can unearth any nuggets of information concerning this family that I have not already found, so you may stop your efforts in this regard.  I will follow with a separate update re Gunnery Sgt Peter Stewart for those interested in more detail.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Just realized the link to a tree on FamilySearch on the post above my last takes you to my submission to that site.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Sure you have it all ready, to have got to the degree of detail we have been discussing. Just trying to add a little here more for background, and to help people recognise the family better.

Wish you every luck in what you are trying to achieve re Peter Stewart Jnr  :)

Monica

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
If you don't already have the death record for Peter from New York, I think it might be worth pursuing to see if parents' names are mentioned and to verify the death date.  Perhaps the family monument is off by a day rather than the gravestone.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I received Peter's file (many pages hard copy) from the USMC last week.  Since he served from 1883 to 1909 there was a lot of sorting involved.

With regard to his death the attached copy of a telegram is absolute proof that he died on the 16th rather than on the 17th.  I think that because this telegram was not received in Washington until the 18th that someone there assumed the death had occurred the night before the telegram was received rather than the night before it was sent.  There are several other documents referring to death on the 16th and others to the 17th in this bureaucratic mixup.

I received the following transcription from the Leslie tombstone last year, for some reason it is more detailed than yours NorrieG.

In affectionate remembrance of PETER STEWART d 31-3-1889 aged 65y
Also JANET his daughter d 12-3-1870 aged 1 y
Also JAMES his son d 18-4-1873 aged 22y
Also EUPHEMIA HAMILTON wife of the above PETER STEWART d 19-1-1909 aged 82y
Also EUPHEMIA STEWART daughter of PETER STEWART d 4-1-1910 aged 46y
Also his daughter HELEN STEWART died 5-12-1915 aged 54y
Also his son PETER STEWART died at New York 16-6-1914 aged 55y.

Marshall

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Before all you helpful people starting looking up 10 Hayes Court Camberwell London, I should tell you that starting in 1904 Peter listed Mrs E Stewart at that address as his next of kin and following her death he changed that to Miss E Stewart at the same address.  The documents which I just received from the USMC show that for one year following his retirement he visited the UK and had his monthly pension sent to that address.  The clincher tying him to same family buried at Fife is the attached from the England Probate Calendar.

Marshall

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I can't tell if the telegram gives a time of day that it was sent, but someone sending a telegram at 6 PM on June 17 might have considered a death occurring at 3 AM on June 17 to be "last night."  Errors can be made on a telegram, so I wouldn't label them "absolute proof."  I would think it would be worthwhile to order the death certificate for free if you don't have it already, but you're free to continue to ignore my suggestion.