Author Topic: Fitzgerald - Ahascragh, Ballinaloe -catholic marriage  (Read 8318 times)

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitzgerald - Ahascragh, Ballinaloe -catholic marriage
« on: Saturday 25 October 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am having great difficulty trying to find the marriage of my my great grandfather, I have looked on Mypast.com and RootsGalway and still can't seem to find them. I have been told through family connections that they both come from Ahascragh.  I have worked out, from the censes that they married 1897.  On a great uncles birth certificate it states maiden name as Carroll, the only Martin Fitzgerald who has a connection with a Carroll is a Hannah Carroll from Kinsale...........any tips?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald - Ahascragh, Ballinaloe -catholic marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Is your Great Grandfather's name Martin Fitzgerald ?

What approx year was he born ?

What census do you have him on ?

Where was your Great Uncle born and when ?

Tara

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara

Here we go, apparently they moved to Portumna after they got married..........

He is in the 1901 and 1911 censes. married to Ellie.  Mypast.com states DOB 1864, death at 74 years, died 1929.

Martina nd Ellie are my great grandparents.  I think my great uncle was born in Portumna, like my grand dad..........

Fitzgerald   Martin   59   Male   Head of Family   Catholic   Co Galway   Farmer   Read and write   -   Married   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   Ellie   36   Female   Wife   Catholic   Co Galway   -   Read and write   -   Married   -   14   7   7
Fitzgerald   Michael Francis   13   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Galway   Scholar   Read and write   Irish and English   Single   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   Joseph   12   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Galway   Scholar   Read and write   Irish and English   Single   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   Mary Delia   10   Female   Daughter   Catholic   Co Galway   Scholar   Read and write   -   Single   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   John Patrick   9   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Galway   Scholar   Read and write   -   Single   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   Eleanor Florence   6   Female   Daughter   Catholic   Co Galway   Scholar   Cannot read   -   Single   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   James   4   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Galway   -   Cannot read   -   Single   -   -   -   -
Fitzgerald   Francis   2   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Galway   -   Cannot read   -   Single   -   -   -

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Actual 1911 Census for reference

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Portumna/Ballynaheskeragh/472892/

The family in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Portumna/Ballynaheskeragh/1396358/

Perfect example of why I tell people to take the ages on the census with a 'pinch of salt' ~ here we have Martin aging 18 years  ;D

SO, are you trying now to find Martin's marriage ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 14 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Your original query re this family.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=565667.0

You are best to stick to the one thread !

Tara

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 October 14 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Okay I have done that now.............

Yes trying to find the marriage between Martin and Ellie but not having much luck...............

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see anything at all.

It's very possible that they just didn't register it ~ a LOT didn't.

I would normally suggest that your try rootsireland BUT they have changed their policies recently and you would have to get a month's subscription (€25) to see if they have a church marriage record for the couple.

Steep if you are just looking for the one record.

You mentioned that you are aware that the farm is still 'in the family' ~ Have you asked for leads that way ?

Tara

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Tara.........

I have distant cousins who have info on the Carrolls but they do not have the wedding certificate, as mentioned only the birth cert of one of their children. I've contacted the cousins in Portumna, will wait to hear for some more info.  I found a Hannah Carroll married to Martin Fitzgerald but in Kinsale...........but Ellie, according to the cencses she is from Galway, not Cork...

I thought they had to register?

What site is most reliable for looking up sites?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 October 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
HA

Yes, they were SUPPOSED to register but a LOT didn't.

With rural families, if they married in Winter time and were far from the registry office then it usually wasn't done but there were lots of other reasons too I'm sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

familysearch is the best free site for looking up records.

Most others require a fee or subscription.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's unusual though ~ both census have Martin as a farmer and normally you would expect to see either his or his wife's family in the area yet NEITHER surname seem to feature in Portumna.

You did mention that family have said that this family were originally from Ahascragh which by today's standards is not that far away, but for back then it would have been a big move.

Still unusual for a man to farm so far away from his family roots ~ I'm wondering maybe was he left the farm in Portumna by a family member ?

Looking at Ahascragh on the census though, there are one or two families with these surnames in the area ~ not what I would call local surnames though.

Looking at the GV for Ahascragh there are a few references to the surname Carroll BUT interesting there is NO reference to the surname Fitzgerald.

It all might explain why you are finding it so hard to find the marriage  ???

Tara