Author Topic: Peter Sheffield of Peter Sheffield Coaches, Neptune Street, Cleethorpes  (Read 8752 times)

Offline ex psv driver

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Sheffield of Peter Sheffield Coaches, Neptune Street, Cleethorpes
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 May 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana, i was a part time driver for peter sheffield in the 80s peter had an office on grimsby road cleethorpe  as well as the depot in neptune steet   peter sheffield sold his company to grimsby cleethorpes transport and gct still run the coaches as peter sheffield but when gct were taken over by stagecoach they abandend the name enss no more peter sheffield        peter was a gentalman to drive for,  the day to day running of sheffield coaches was in the hands of a mr harness who's brother was garage foreman, i can tell you more about this great company   :o

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks very much for your message and the information. I would be very interested to hear more when you have time.
Best wishes Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.

Offline rob broadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 October 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana
I Knew Peter Sheffield too. my dad drove coaches for him for many years. Peter lived in Hardy's Road Cleethorpes and during the war was a Burma Star though he never spoke about it.
He was a quiet polite man, always smartly turned out and was very popular. He entrusted the running of the company to George and Stan Harniess. They employed a young man as a fitter who was a keen guitarist and even looked like Buddy Holly! His foreman was a huge man called Pete who lived round the corner from the garage and the cleaner was a tall slim young man who's name escapes me. It really was one big happy family and I used to go down to meet my dad and help him clean his bus in the 60's.
happy days! 

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Welcome to rootschat!  Thank you for your imput.  I know most of the names you mentioned from my brother.  He was apprentice fitter there from 1965 til 197l.  I can't give you names on here, but when you have made 3 posts altogether (I think it is) I can send you a personal message and give you my brother's name incase you might remember him.

I have found out quite a lot about Peter Sheffield and also found his grave, which is in the cemetery just off Humberstone Avenue.  I went there to see it some time ago now.  My brother is also in touch with someone else who lives in Cleethorpes, who worked at Peter Sheffields when he did.

Everyone says what a lovely man Peter was.  I didn't know about the Burma Star, I wonder if my brother does, I will be speaking to him on Sunday.  He lives in Scotland now.  Peter's wife is still alive I believe.  My brother had some contact with her a couple of years ago now.  She still lives in the same house!

Offline rob broadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana
Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing more about this Cleethorpes legend. You've got me thinking about who your brother might be! The bus cleaner was called Tom.

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.  If you just make one more post back to me then I can send you a personal message and tell you my brother's name.  My brother did play the guitar, but I don't see him much like Buddy Holly!  We can also perhaps exchange email addresses.

Cheers Diana

Offline rob broadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi diana

yes it would be good to correspond. Local history and local people are very interesting