Author Topic: Florence Mercer Hunt b. 1885, masseuse - Scone, Perth + Edinburgh  (Read 2407 times)

Offline timrousbeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Florence Mercer Hunt b. 1885, masseuse - Scone, Perth + Edinburgh
« on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm posting on behalf of my dad who is interested in finding information on this woman who he believes was the model for a war memorial by a sculptor he researches.  She seems to be quite an interesting person as she worked as a medical masseuse, a new field at the time (that would now be called physiotherapy), which came into it's own during WW1.  We haven't been able to find anything on her career or war service yet as the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists records are down at the Wellcome Library in London.  It would be nice to know a bit more about her than just dates. 

This is what we know:

Florence Mercer Hunt
b. 24/4/1885, Vine Bank, Scone
d. 1974, Edinburgh.  She lived at 33 Manor Place until at least 1957.  She never married.

Parents were James Hunt and Marjory Brough

She was the youngest of 7 siblings and seems to have been closest to her sister Marjorie Anne Hunt 1880 - 1969

Marjorie married John Ritchie, a solicitor, 1913 in Edinburgh.  He died in 1922

We believe Florence lived with her widowed sister for a time in the 1920s at 47 Polwarth Gardens, Edinburgh. (next door to Alexander Carrick, the sculptor in question)

Because the records are too modern I haven't been able to find out if there were any children, however there is an interesting record of an Anne Brough Ritchie b. 1916 Dunbarney, Perth.  She married Frederick George Wyatt, 1945, Kinloss Moray (suggesting an RAF connection?).

Her other siblings were

- Agnes Brough Hunt 1869 - 1919. no marriage

- James Hunt b. 1872
- John Hunt b. 1874, Tailor
One of these brothers emigrated to Canada.  She visited her brother J. Ritchie in Toronto in 1929

- Frederick Ninian Hunt 1876/7 - 1948 Draper, became Provost of Crieff
m. Helen Dawson Coubrough, 1905 in Falkirk

- Henry Ward Hunt 1881 - 1950
m. Muriel Evelyn Randolph, Queensferry, 1908

If anyone has any info we would appreciate them getting in touch.  Thanks in advance.

McAdam, Neilson, McGinlay / McGinley, Hayes, McIntosh

Offline JOHN HUNT

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Mercer Hunt b. 1885, masseuse - Scone, Perth + Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
I am a descendent of Florence Hunt and have more information about her. Can you tell me if you are still interested in finding out more about her life.