Author Topic: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?  (Read 75658 times)

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone trace Adelaide?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Reply #18 mentions Adelaide having a brother who enlisted in 1907.  He was my Grandfather. My mother told me the only person left on her side of the family was an aunt, who I believe was her father's sister This aunt lived around the corner from us in Canning Town and I visited her a couple of times as a child.  I suspect that aunt may well have been Adelaide Springett.  A check of the Electoral Rolls for the mid fifties in that road may decide the issue.  I'm waiting for some BMD cert's that will help.

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 18 May 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
Adelaide's birth certificate shows her having the same parents as my grandfather. Solved.

Offline marcoapolo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been following this conversation, most fascinating, it really warms the heart to read how the face of a little girl can move people to action 114 years later,  Do you know if she ever got married, had children and when she died and where she may be buried?

thank you for your time

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Marcoapolo.  The little girl turned out to be my Great Aunt.  My nephew asked for some family tree information which he passed on to Spitalfields Life.  A couple of months later, a probate genealogy research company sent me a letter advising I may be related to Adelaide and for 40% of her estate would make a claim for me!  A copy of her birth certificate showed her parents and the address were the same as my grandfather.  The preceding pages show others have tried to 'fill the gaps' without success.  I have recently retired and hope to find the time to research Adelaides life.  Discussions with my mother many years ago, which I noted and anecdotes from siblings offer a couple of more clues to follow up.  I'll probably share the results on here but have no idea when.  I hope to have a picture of Adelaide framed for display.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
Ionicus - are you and Jenny Anne related ?

Thanks
Nesta

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
I believe so Nesta. The details fit with my family tree and I have a niece Jenny.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline hellygreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?
« Reply #43 on: Friday 31 July 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
Posted by: IONICUS
« on: Monday 18 May 15 13:17 BST (UK)  » Insert Quote
Adelaide's birth certificate shows her having the same parents as my grandfather. Solved.

Wonderful news!
Haven't been back to check this Adelaide thread in a while as I have been working on other things, then this just popped up!
Say hi to Your Nephew (B) from me, he is a little tardy with his emailing but I guess he is busy with his studies?
The war document of enlistment for William was not on ancestry, it was on Genes Reunited.
My membership on both these have now lapsed and unfortunately once lapsed you cannot view the original documents, hopefully someone may be able to give you the details on enlistment if you ask for a look up.
Hope the family are well and good luck in your future.
Kind regards Helen

Green/Wasdall/Tylee/Powell
Hackney and Bethnal Green
Nightingale's of Newport Pond

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 01 August 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Hellygreen,  You're right about (B)!  I have the enlistment papers for WJS junior but haven't yet found his War Service record. I suspect he changed Battalions on the out break of war.  He and Adelaide resided in 'The Worst Street in London' which was the focal point of the Jack the Ripper murders. Of course, I now have the book and it illustrates why Adelaide and her little friends dressed and looked the way they did. I think it's going to take some time to research Adelaide but when I have something, I'll post it here.  Thanks for your reply.

King regards  John