Author Topic: William Priest of Aberlour, Military Records  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Tree_Addict

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Priest of Aberlour, Military Records
« on: Sunday 26 October 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
The brother of my 3rd great grandfather was William Marshal Priest, born 04 Nov 1826 at Allawick Brick Works in Aberlour; died 20 Mar 1866 in Elgin. He was part owner of the family business. He erected two headstones for the family.  One showed that he was Lieutenant Wm. Marshall Priest, and the other showed William Priest, Ensign, Aberdeenshire Militia.  Is there any way of finding more information about his military career?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Priest of Aberlour, Military Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
There are a good few references to him in the newspapers, mainly in relation to his business, the Morayshire brick and tile works, but this is all I have found in relation to his time in the Militia.

Aberdeen Journal 28-1-1846 - mentions William Priest as one of the ensigns in a list of officers.

Aberdeen Journal 25-4-1855 - says the Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire signed a commission on 26th March for William Marshal Priest, Gentleman, to be an ensign with the Aberdeenshire Royal Regiment of Militia.

Aberdeen Journal 11-7-1855 - says the Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire signed a commission on 2nd July 1855 for William Marshal Priest, to be a lieutenant with the Aberdeenshire Royal Regiment of Militia.

It might be worth looking for any mention of him in the on-line catalogue of the National Records of Scotland. Also doing a "people search" for him on Moray Council's Libindx site [http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp].

Offline Tree_Addict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Priest of Aberlour, Military Records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!  At least, now, I know he wasn't just putting on airs, hee hee.  Is there any mention of the other Priests, John, James, Isabella, Robert, & William Sr., etc. - other than death notices? I know there was an 1860 article about one of the William's painting in Aberlour done by A. Morrison.