Author Topic: Hospitals + records  (Read 2037 times)

Offline PeterG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hospitals + records
« on: Monday 27 October 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to help a friend in researching her Grand mother (deceased) her name was Gertrude Gibbons and she married John Stewart Campbell and lived in Cherry Hinton Road Cambridge.
In 1922 twins were born and a short time following the birth Gertrude suffered a breakdown of some kind and was hospitalised and today's family know nothing more.
What we are looking for are details of hospitals, asylums etc in the area she might have been admitted to and where the records kept and availability of them.
Thankyou for your time
peterg

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals + records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peterg,

If Gertrude suffered a mental breakdown it is quite likely that she went to Fulbourn Mental Hospital, not that far from where she lived really, just outside the town.

See
http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/directory_record/4129/fulbourn_hospital

Whilst patient records are closed for 100 years it might be that they would let you know if she is included in the admissions register.

The other main general medical and surgical hospital was the old Addenbrookes Hospital on Trumpington Street, Cambridge. 

Regards,
Selina

Added:  I believe the new Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge has archives and a substantial collection but I have no idea what and how much is available.
See
http://www.cuh.org.uk/cuh/services/non_clin/archive/archive_holdings.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals + records
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 November 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you managed to identify a possible death for her - or even have the death certificate for further information?