Author Topic: BENSON family emigrated to South Africa  (Read 7026 times)

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
BENSON family emigrated to South Africa
« on: Friday 01 July 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello listers,

My great-grandmother was Amelia Priscilla BENSON, probably born about 1860 (estimated from husband's bith date). Family rumour has it that her family emigrated from Ireland (no further details) to South Africa. I don't know if she was born in Ireland or South Africa, nor do I know her parents' names.
If anyone has any information about any BENSON emigrating to South Africa in the 1800s, I'd be grateful.

Thanks very much,

John

Moderator's Note: please see thread on Ireland-General board:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,70367.msg287990.html#msg287990

Offline carocaet

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BENSON family emigrated to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 September 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Dear John,
I hope you read this your message was a long time ago.  I too am looking for a Benson who left Ireland and went to live in Durban, South Africa, (which is my home town).  I now live in Ireland.  He was my great grandfather. 

The really interesting thing is that one of his daughters - my maternal grandmother - was called Gladys AMELIA Benson - which is one of the names you are seeking for your great grandmother.  I feel so sure there must be a link!  My grandmother Gladys Amelia was born on 9th September 1891 to my greatgrandfather BENSON (trying to find out his first name), he was a deepsea diver (supposedly the first), and worked in the Port of Durban repairing ships.  He died of the bends.  His wife, my great grandmother was apparently of Spanish origins - having been born to her mother on a British sailing ship in the Indian Ocean, (she had a older sister too).  The mom died giving birth and the English Captain of the ship took the two girls home to his wife in Umkomaas - and that is how they came to Durban in SA.  If there is indeed a connection - perhaps my great grandfather and your great grandmother were brother and sister and came out as a family to South Africa.  Thus the name of AMELIA being given to my Granny Gladys Amelia?  My great grandfather BENSON lived in Point Road Durban at the time of his death.  His wife apparently remarried a Jewish person called Abrahams and had children from him too - some went to Australia.  There are still Bensons from this family living in Durban, SA, and I am trying to get in touch with them, but as you can imagine the older members are dead now and the younger ones might have moved away.  It is very difficult to get copies of marriage / death / birth certs in South Africa - years wait for even current ones.  Please let me know what you think of this connection.  Kind regards, Carole Caetano (born Sutton).

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole,

I'm afraid I can't help with a link between our two Benson families. Someone in the family said that Amelia had originated in Ireland, but I don't know if this is true and no further information was known. The only mention I have of her is when she had her three illegitimate children, born between 1857 and 1864, baptised in Aliwal North in the 1870s. The name Gladys doesn't appear in the few bits of gen that I have, nor do I know of any connection with Durban. Have you tried the South Africa-Immigrants message board, there are a lot of very knowledgable and helpful people there. Sorry I can't be of more help but if I do come up with anything I'll let you know,
Regards,
John

Offline embrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 January 09 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a Percy Benson (b. 1878)  emigrated to Durban South Africa from Sydney, Australia. His grandfather James Benson came to Australia from County Meath in Ireland in 1841 along with his parents Samuel Benson and Charlotte Walker and 7 siblings. James was baptised at St. Catherine's in Dublin in 1817. I have a photo of Percy if he has any relevance to anyone in SA.

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Embrace,

Thanks for posting the information about Percy. I'm not sure if he fits in with my Bensons, but I'm interested in any info regarding this name in South Africa, hoping that eventually something I can positively identify as a "connector" will pop up!

Good hunting,

John

Offline Simon007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Just seen your posting and although we are probably not connected it is an interesting topic which may lead to a connection in the future.

In 1894 my relative, William Cole BENSON (born 1850 Islington, England), walked out on his young family (reason unknown) and emigrated to South Africa.  I know that one of his son's Hugh BENSON (born 1882 Farningham, Kent, England) followed him out and fought in the Boer War, WW1 and WW2.  Before WW2 he was farming in the Underberg area.

I have ascertained that there is a small farm near Coleford, just outside Underberg, called BENSON.  It seems this is named after Hugh BENSON who set up the farm in partnership with a Mr COLVILLE in the 1920's farming with pedigree Hereford Cattle at Chevy Chase Farm, Drakensberg Gardens Road which is apparently in the Underberg area (near Pietermaritzburg and close to the Drakensberg Mountains). They had a pack of dogs and used to hunt jackals and otters.

If this rings any bells I would love to find out more.