Author Topic: Peter FOY born 1792 or 1793  (Read 4105 times)

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter FOY born 1792 or 1793
« on: Tuesday 28 October 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for my ancestor, Peter FOY/E.  According to a an attestation report which I have, he enlisted in the military on January 15, 1811 in Dublin, Ireland.  His age was recorded as 18 and his place of birth was listed as Rathoath, Meath, under a column titled "“County, City or Town of birth place”.  Unfortunately, I cannot tell if it was Rathoath Town or Rathoath Parish. 

What I do know for sure is that Peter Foy was a private in the 100th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment).   He fought in the War of 1812 with the British in Canada against the Americans.  According to a report of losses by the 100th regiment of foot, he was located at the following places of battle:
- on July 5, 1814 he was serving under General Phineas Raille in Chippawa, Upper Canada (now Ontario).
 -on October 20, 1814 he is recorded again in battle at Chippawa , Upper Canada.
-on December 19, 1815 he is recorded in battle at Fort Niagara, Upper Canada.

The 100th Regiment of Foot was renamed to the 99th Regiment of Foot in 1816 and after the war ended , it was dis-banned in 1818.  The veterans of this regiment were offered land in Ontario to ensure that the Britain had  loyal citizens to guard the Canadian border, in the event of another threat from the American.

Apparently Peter Foy did not take up the offer because he settled in Vaudreuil, Quebec (near Montreal).  He married Eleanor Thomas (who was Anglican) in 1819 and had 3 sons.  I do not know his religion but suspect that he may have been roman catholic.He died about 1851 in Vaudreuil, Quebec.

I have been unsuccessful in finding Peter Foy in Ireland and have only found a few Foys in Meath.    I would like to establish who his parents and siblings were so that I can move backward with my ancestors.  If anyone can provide advice on obtaining information from military records or parish records, I would be very appreciative.  Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Yours truly
Helen, Canada

McFadyen, McGhee, Nelson/Neilson, McKeevor/McIvor/McIver, Gemmels, Fleming, Turner
Farr, Keep, Hatt, Draper, Libby, Martin, Bacon
Milne, Swan, Griffith, Hawkins, Foy, McCarthy, Gallwey, Caffary/Caffrey, Margaret

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Peter FOY born 1792 or 1793
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 14 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,
When one looks at Griffiths Valuation records ( available free, at askaboutireland.ie ) which listed all landholdings and/or households in ireland in the mid 19th century, and gave the name of who paid the rent, and to whom, and searches for "Foy" in County Meath, one only gets 2 or 3 hits , one being a Peter Foy, at a house in Irish Street in Ratoath Village, and also having a part ownership in a peat bog . It is highly possible that he is the Father or other close relative of your Peter.

As to Baptism records, you are almost at the limit of Catholic Parish records, but I believe the National Library in Dublin has a Microfilm of Ratoath Baptisms from 1784 to 1818 on Reference POS 4177. But be warned some of these early register microfilms are very faded and sometimes unreadable.  As you have quite a good idea as to when he was born, it might only take a quick visit to check out. If you can do it yourself great. If you cant easily, then if you like, the next time I am there on my own "lookups"  I can have a quick look at the Ratoath film for you.
Regards
Kevin (meath999)

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin:  Thank you for taking the time to answer my query.  I have seen the Griffith Valuation and agree that these Foy's are probably related to my Peter Foy but have not been able to find any information on them either. 

I would very much appreciate if you could do a quick look-up for me when you are next at the National Library in Dublin because I live in Canada and it is not possible for me to do it.  Thank you so much.

Helen
McFadyen, McGhee, Nelson/Neilson, McKeevor/McIvor/McIver, Gemmels, Fleming, Turner
Milne, Swan, Griffith, Hawkins, Foy, McCarthy, Gallwey, Caffary/Caffrey, Margaret

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 14 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I finally got an opportunity to look at the Microfilm of the Ratoath RC Registers, and found the following-
My comments are in brackets.
Item (1)
"Bap. Peter lawful child to James Foy(or Fay?)  & Alyce Donnelly S.(meaning sponsers)  Nich. Lynagh & Judith Morgan  July 13th 1789"

Item(2)

"Married Thos. Foy (Fay ??) & Rose McDermot(d?) witness present Js. M ???? & Ptk. McDonagh Feb 22nd 1789"

These are the only two entries that resemble "Foy" that I can decipher up to 1794.  When I ran out of time.  If you would like to see the actual images I will put them in a folder called "Foypics" on Dropbox and can give you access to them on your email address. I will send a PM so that you can reply to it, so as not to show email addresses in this public area whic h is not advised.

Perhaps you can decipher them better than I

Cheers
Kevin (meath999)

Offline HPW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 14 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking this information up for me.  I am certain that these people will be related to my Peter Foy because of the location in Rathoath.  I have done a few quick searches on the 4 names you included but did not come up with anything.  I will just keep trying. 

You need not put the originals in dropbox as it is a lot of trouble.  I am grateful for the time you have spent already. 

Have a great day!

Helen