Author Topic: Drumgauty House Bready County Tyrone  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Ongoing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumgauty House Bready County Tyrone
« on: Wednesday 29 October 14 05:45 GMT (UK) »
As I live overseas and my geography is not the best is anyone able to help me please?.  William Meredith Miller lived at Drumgauty House Bready County Tyrone and died 26 June 1958. Would anyone know where he is buried ie is there a cemetery at Bready?
Thanks-Ongoing

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Drumgauty House Bready County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, he may be buried at Dunnalong parish church graveyard, or possibly Mountcastle graveyard about 2 miles to the east of Bready.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Ongoing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your information re the burial grounds.  I will check it out and see what can be done. Have just received the death certificate of Margaret Theodora Miller of the same address so that gives me more to go on.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I got a chance to visit the 2 graveyards mentioned but did not find a grave for William Meredith Miller, in fact neither graveyard contained any Miller memorials (that I could see)

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Judging from their will abstracts, William and his wife were well off. So it is very likely that they would have a headstone somewhere :

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearchResults.aspx

Maybe an obvious thing to say but a newspaper obit is your most likely source of the information.

Offline Ongoing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 March 15 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have taken so long to reply but we needed to go interstate to look after a sick daughter who had a rather urgent operation.

Yes I am sure there will be a headstone somewhere unless their son, who lived in Cheshire, England never bothered to erect one. I do appreciate your help. If you do ever find out anymore I would be most appreciative.  Ongoing

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 15 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Many people didn't put up headstones and many old ones are illegible or didn't survive.

Have you tried searching for a death notice and/or obituary in the local newspaper? Quite often they will list place of burial. Also, if Church of Ireland burial there might be an entry in the birth register.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I can see William and wife recorded on a passenger manifest from 1949 London to Columbo, age 48, occupation Planter, address given as Yardley Court, Tonbridge, as far as I can see Yardley Court was/is an preparatory school for boys in Tonbridge, Kent?

He was 57 when he died, so probably not retired, do you know why he came back to Ireland?

Looks like him in the 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Buncrana/Buncrana/491768/

He may have been buried in a family plot in the Buncranna or Londonderry city as both parents were born there

Update: see parents grave in city cemetery but William not mentioned:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=miller&GSiman=1&GScid=2139939&GRid=102901179&

Quite a nice little bio of his father accompanying photo of grave.

Update 2:

Looking at the Will Calender entry for father Sir Francis Miller I see the administrator was Barry F McCorkell, he was married to Mary Eileen Miller, sister of William Meredith Miller ( I have more information on that line if your interested)