Author Topic: Ballyhire in Wexford  (Read 4104 times)

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballyhire in Wexford
« on: Wednesday 29 October 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
This is my first foray into Ireland, so having trouble trying to find records.  I am trying to find information on the Edwards family of Ballyhire.  there seemed to have been a line of them with the name Cadwallader Edwards.  In 1811 Cadwallader married Elizabeth Camilla Tuder of Tenby in Wales.  They had at least one daughter who died in 1837, described on her death notice as his heiress - I wondered if they had any more children.

I think that Cadwallader might be related to one of my lines and would also be interested in finding out more about his ancestors.

Many thanks

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyhire in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 02:05 GMT (UK) »
While I am not absolutely certain, I believe there may be some materials on the family in:
- The National Library of Ireland (NLI)
- The Office of the Chief Herald of Ireland (Genealogical Office)

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
It's difficult from your post to know what you are looking for or what information you already have but googling "Edwards family of Ballyhire" bring up LOTS of references.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline goornong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Elizabetha Camilla Tuder (Edwards) 1781-1860 was my g-g-grand Aunt, sister of my g-g-grandfather Lieut John Kelly Tuder RN. and daughter of Rev William Tuder, Rector of Kingston Seymour, Somerset 1780-1820, and his wife Elizabetha Camilla (nee Walker). She married Cadwallader Edwards in 1811. He died in 1824.

Elizabetha Camilla Edwards, the daughter you mention was the only child, and died aged 25 in 1837. Both mother and daughter  were named Elizabetha Camilla as was Rev Wm Tuder's wife. Both EC Edwards died in Tenby, Pembrokeshire. Both are buried in a Tuder family grave in Penally Churchyard, near Tenby. Cadwallader Edwards comes from a long line of Cadwallader Edwardses so it's confusing which is which. Hope this helps. :)
Graeme Tuder

Offline Cats1723

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 23 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Cadwallader Edwards

The will of Cadwallader Edwards of Ballyhide, Wexford was proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on 28 Jun 1824
His will is here

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D167735

In a nutshell he willed the following

Left furniture, plates, etc to wife Elizabeth Camilla

Left his estates to his brother-in-law William Tudor of Tenby, Pembrokeshire and Henry Arthur Esq. of Bally??bin, Wexford. Annuities from this estate would go to his wife and his daughter Elizabeth Camilla. If Camilla died without issue, this would go to his nephew Cadwallader Palmer and his heirs (as long as they took the name and arms of Edwards)

£500 to his sister Elizabeth Palmer

£100 each to his sisters Anne Wilson, Winnifred Wolseley, and Amy Evans
His wife was to continue to reside at Ballyhire
William Tudor and Henry Arthur were the executors.

I am descended from his sister Elizabeth Palmer mentioned in the will and this will began a long line
of men in my family of being Cadwallader Edwards Palmer

The father of this Cadwallader Edwards  and Elizabeth Palmer was also Cadwallader Edwards,  there is a marriage for a Cadwallader Edwards listed in 1768 to Elizabeth or Eliza Donovan, the date fits the place fits, he in turn is speculated to be the son of Cadwallader Paul Edwards. There is good circumstantial evidence for this. And his father was a Henry Edwards, but you guessed it his father was also another Cadwallader Edwards and now we are back to the middle 1600's.

How accurate is all of this, I am not 100% sure, if you want more details of this family
see

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Edwards-35316

This is the profile of the Cadwallader Edwards that married  Elizabeth Camilla Tuder in Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales on 26 Feb 1811

Offline lininberks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 23 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, which I have only just seen.  This is the line of a member of my family, and I have managed to fond out more since my original post.  Thanks to the people who originally responded, who I forgot to reply to.  I have had a quick look at the WikiTree - I had managed to find 20 of Eliza Palmer's children, but have missed out 2 so will be having a closer look later.  My family member is descended from another son of Cadwallader and Eliza Donovan Edwards, Rickard, who had a very long career in the army and died in 1833 in Jamaica.

The Edwards are a very fascinating family with links to a number of famous people.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 23 12:49 GMT (UK) »

Just for the OP's information and for those reading - links to Ballyhire townland.
(south of Rosslare Harbour)
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/forth/saint-helens/st-helens/ballyhire/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4274367#map=13/52.2514/-6.3704
(currently problems with this website opening)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo