Author Topic: 1841/51/61 census lookups, please: Joseph, Aaron & George Dunford  (Read 6869 times)

Offline acauston

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/51/61 census lookups, please: Joseph, Aaron & George Dunford
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, Deb:
Thank you so much for doing these lookups for me ... the early censuses are not easy to navigate, are they, so I do appreciate your work.  We were away on holiday, so I also want you to know that I did not see your messages until last night.
Yes, that is definitely George in the 1861 census.  At the same time, brother Aaron (our Gr-gr-grandfather) was at Clapham, Middlesex.  Aaron and his wife were married in London. 
You're exactly right ... my "holy grail" is to find the boys, Aaron and George, with father Joseph in the 1841 census (sigh).  Oh, and I have had lookups done in the 1841 and 1851 censuses in and around Bristol, including Brockley and Barrow (each of which George gave as his birthplace in different censuses), but not found there.
I should probably order *all* of the Toller parish record microfilms into a local FHC and scour them for this lot.  I'm not sure what else to do ... I've scoured the Dorset OPC web site, too.
Well, thank you anyway ... it really does help to know where they're *not* ;-)).
Cheers,
Alison
London/Croydon: Causton. Steyning, Coombes & Piddinghoe, Sussex: Lamport. Bournemouth/Croydon: Dunford. Bristol/Croydon: Wawman, Hurford. Long Crichel, Dorset: Loader. Wivelsfield, Sussex: Miles. Kilrea, Co L'Derry: Kilpatrick, M'Kay. Caledon & Dungannon, Co Tyrone: Huggins, Kennedy, Thompson. Co Kerry: Burke. Corbrackey, Co Armagh: Flavell, Jones. DruminallyDuff, Co Armagh: Gilmore.

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison, if i had to have a best guess i would say they are likley to be at Barrow! It is close enough to the Dorset Border to be very Possible See if you can get a second look at -- or better yet you get a look at those records and for the villages immediately around Barrow! My sixth sense is that you will find them there! D x BTW thanks for the Reply, I do like to know if i have helped! Grin.
Brunton, Binnington, in Cullercoats
Paterson, Anderson in Fifeshire
Vacher, Vatchers, Vatyers, (other various spellings) , in Dorsetshire
Marchams, in Oxfordshire / Berkshire (depending on date)

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 August 05 19:08 BST (UK) »
living at new barn,tarrant gunville,dorset in 1841

joseph dunford aged 70yrs and wife sarah 65yrs old.

also found these livin gin tarrant gunville

DUNFORD  JAMES  M  15  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET     
DUNFORD  JOHN  M  85  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET     
DUNFORD  JOHN  M  30  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET     
DUNFORD  JOSEPH  M  70  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET     
DUNFORD  ROBERT  M  25  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET     
DUNFORD  SARAH  F  65  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET     
DUNFORD  SARAH  F  25  DORSET  NEW BARN    TARRANT GUNVILLE  DORSET 

regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alli:
Thank you so much for taking the time to look for this family and to post your search results.
I am cautiously optimistic about this find... "cautious" for two reasons:  no Aaron (age 16) and no George (age 10), although they may have been visiting with other relatives or, in Aaron's case, farmed out to work; second, I wonder how likely it is that Sarah had children at age 49 and 54, for Aaron and then for George ... although I've read the warnings many times about not assuming that the ages given in any census --but in particular, the 1841-- are accurate.
Still, Aaron was very specific in subsequent censuses that he was born at Tarrant Gunville.  Ordinarily, a baptismal record there would help to confirm but -for some reason- Aaron's baptism doesn't show in the Tarrant Gunville registers (according to a friend who did a look-up).
This is certainly a wonderful set of clues, and I should probably give the parish registers a good look myself.  I shall also revisit the Dorset OPC web site, to look again for Joseph, now that there is an (approximate) age of 70 in 1841 for him.
Alli, could I ask one favour, though:  the PRO reference numbers, please?
Thanks again for your kindness,
Alison
London/Croydon: Causton. Steyning, Coombes & Piddinghoe, Sussex: Lamport. Bournemouth/Croydon: Dunford. Bristol/Croydon: Wawman, Hurford. Long Crichel, Dorset: Loader. Wivelsfield, Sussex: Miles. Kilrea, Co L'Derry: Kilpatrick, M'Kay. Caledon & Dungannon, Co Tyrone: Huggins, Kennedy, Thompson. Co Kerry: Burke. Corbrackey, Co Armagh: Flavell, Jones. DruminallyDuff, Co Armagh: Gilmore.

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 August 05 20:33 BST (UK) »
... taking a look at the baptisms transcribed on the Dorset OPC web site, I am inclined to thinking that this Joseph and Sarah are the grandparents of our Aaron (and George), and that the other adults listed in the 1841 census would be Aaron's uncles/his father Joseph's brothers.  I shall definitely have to take a look at the parish registers ;).
Cheers,
Alison

Offline Claire Louise Britton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 February 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
My mother in law, Teresa Britton, has been tracing this line. We appear to be from the same family origin as Henry James was my Great Grandfather too. I'm not sure how we can swap information as I've only just joined but she already has all of this research.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 February 16 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

acauston's notifications are not working at the moment as she has updated her email.  I have managed to get a message to her regarding your message and hope to see her very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JPeach

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 December 16 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allison,

I have a William Dunford, and Ann/e Miller this William who died in Toller Procum, who married and had a Son William Dunford born in Toller Procum who married Elizabeth Gulliver and they had Joseph in 1805 and Elizabeth in 1823(my great, great, great grandmother) ok so Joseph born in 1805 married Mary Hiscock in 1830 and they had George, Henry and William but no Aaron I got the wife and kids from the 1841 census and they lived in Canford Magna Dorset, do you know the birth of your Joseph Dunford?

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 February 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
just found this but still nothing for aaron for 1841
Name transcribed   Aaron Dunford
Year   1851
Service number 3317 Rank Private in the Coldstream Regiment Of Foot Guards
Year   1851 Location   London & Windsor
The National Archives reference   WO12/1752

regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney