Author Topic: Edward Peters, Buckley  (Read 8537 times)

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Peters, Buckley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
HA -- Genius!!  Despair/Roger, looks like you have barked up the correct tree :)

Marriage of Edward Iball to Hannah Lamb, Dec 27 1890, bistre.... he lists his father as John Peters, collier!! 

This fits with the 1891 census record you found.  Edward and Hannah are with Hannah's father, Thomas Lamb.  Looks like Edward and Hannah have a daughter, Sarah J Iball, 9mos, too. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Subsequent marriage in Bistre Emmanuel for Edward Iball, widower, collier, father John Peters, collier, to Elizabeth Crofts.  Jan 7 1899.  Elizabeth Crofts was a spinster when married... father William Crofts, blacksmith.

This fits with the 1901 census you found.  Looks like they are living next to Elizabeth's father, William Crofts, retired blacksmith.  2 Crofts stepdaughters.  Annie Iball 7 and Elizabeth Iball 2. 

William Crofts has a 19 year old boarder with him... John Peters ??? ???

Just going to add all of this to my own tree :) :)

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD has a death for Edward Iball, age 75, registered in Hawarden in DecQ 1932.   ??? ???  Right age...

RK

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Looks like you have a few side branches/"step trees".I'll see if I can make anything further of the John Edward Iball,3rd quarter 1879.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any confident data,census or BMD,following the birth registration for John Edward Iball,which leaves my original speculation open.Is there a parish register record for this birth in Holywell registration district 3rd Quarter 1879?

Regards
Roger

Offline Devablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 November 14 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. My head is spinning....

Edwards Peters/Iball. This all looks very plausible and explains why I have failed to track Edward through the 1891 and 1901 census. I have a newspaper report of John Edward's funeral in 1930 and it states that his father - Edward Peters - attended. However, Edward is not at his grandson's funeral in 1936. So he could well have died in 1932 but again under the name Iball.

John Edward. As you say, his father in reverse. Looks as though he was brought up as Iball but certainly reverted to Peters from at least 1908 onwards. My father was vague about the Peters family line (he was much closer to his mother's family - Evans). However, he hinted that there children outside of the main family group.

John Edward injured his back in a mining accident around 1910 and was bed bound for the rest of his life. My father remembers a local man coming to sit with John Edward - possibly his father Edward. He was either being very diplomatic or genuinely did not know his grandfather on the Peters side. Interesting that he is always Edward Peters when there is a connection with John Edward (eg on the marriage certificate and at the funeral). My father also thought that John Edward spent some time abroad in America but this could well be a red herring. Close and it would be great to tie together Edward and John Edward through a birth or baptism record.

Regards and thanks again.

DevaBlue

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just some food for thought....
I was looking at the marriage cert for John Edwards and Ann "Hall" in 1858.  Are you sure it is Hall and not Ibell (or Iball, etc)?? 

RK

Hi.  I was rereading this thread and I see that in reply 5, I  referred to the marriage of "John Edwards" and Ann Iball - that should, of course, be "John Peters".   :P :P 

I don't seem to be able to access the "modify" button for my earlier posts, so I am putting the correction here.  I can see from the other responses in this thread, that Roger and Devablue have read my mistake as the correct name, but in case anyone else sees this thread later,and is confused, I want to fix my error.

I have looked for a baptism record that would correspond to the birth record for John Edward Iball, 1879.  I don't see one.  HMMM.  Perhaps Devablue will have to order the birth certificate to see what it says?

Also, perhaps you can locate the obituary/death notice for Edward Iball (Peters??) in 1932.  It might help to shed a bit more light on the matter??  I don't see it on FindMyPast or on the Welsh Newspapers online, but maybe it can be found in other record collections?   

I still wonder about the 19 year old John Peters who is with William Croft in 1901 -- is this a possible sighting of your John Edward Peters?

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I see a burial record, transcribed as "Edward Hall", in Dec 1932.  The actual record says "Edward Iball".  He was 75 and lived at 142 Mold Road, Bistre.  Buried Dec 15, 1932 at Bistre.  This must be the Edward Iball I found on the Free BMD - died DecQ of 1932.  This burial date could narrow down your search for a death notice/obituary in the local papers

RK

Offline Devablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 November 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
RunKitty

Funny how you read what you expect to see. I had not noticed the slip in the reference to John and Ann.

Yes I agree that it would be worth checking the birth certificate and I will order a copy.

I found the obituaries for John Edward and his two eldest sons (Edward and Dennis) in the Mold, Deeside and Buckley Leader. However, as far as I am aware, it is only available at the Flintshire Records Office, Hawarden. If so, I will have a look next time I am in N Wales - I live in S Wales.

Using the FindMyPast newspaper database I did find a fair few references to Edward Iball in the 1885-95 period including several drunk and disorderlies (on one occasion while in charge of a horse and cart) and a stabbing (he was found guilty and sentenced to 21 days in prison). While they all relate to Buckley it is difficult to say whether they are the same Edward Iball that we have been tracking. However, at least one fits -the Wrexham Advertiser for 2 July 1892. Mold Petty Sessions, Drunk and Disorderly. Edward Iball, collier, Spon Green. Fined 10s and costs.

Pure speculation but if this was a recurring theme then it may explain why John Edward preferred Peters. Also John Edward's, eldest son, Edward, was very active in one of the temperance movements in Buckley - the Rechabites.

Thanks again to you and Roger for your help.

DevaBlue