Author Topic: St. Nicholas Combined N & E  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Nicholas Combined N & E
« on: Friday 31 October 14 03:22 GMT (UK) »
I just got a monthly subscription to rootsireland, and found my great great grandparents, Michael Regan and Bridget Casey were married in this Parish.  Since I'm an American, I don't have any idea where it is located.

Is there any way to find out if the parish register is on line?  The rootsireland transcription is not complete, and I would like to find out the names of my Great great great grandparents.

Thanks for any help.  John C. Regan, their son, emigrated to Brooklyn, NY about 1883.  He was born in 1859, which would make him one of the younger sons.

Peggy

PS: if the apartment is right, my sister and I may be moving to the block where my great grandparents lived.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Nicholas Combined N & E
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 14 10:18 GMT (UK) »
St Nicholas's is the Church of Ireland Church from the 1300s in Market Street in the City Centre
It is a very historic church and still active today
LINK = http://www.stnicholas.ie/
Its parish was shown as S&W (i.e. South & West) and N&E (i.e. North and East) during the 1800s
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 November 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy

I have dealt with that parish a bit.

No, is the short answer.

It's records are not online.

You will only get them 'online' on the rootsireland site that you are already using.

The issue that you are coming up against now is that when you go back to that time in Ireland it was RARE for the parent's names to be on the church marriage records.

The odd time, if you are lucky, you will get a father mentioned but not much more than that.

So, it's not that the parish records are incomplete, it's just that's how the records were done at the time.

First, did Michael and Bridget have witness' at their marriage ?

Were these relations ?

Next ~ draw up a list of the children of Michael & Bridget (in chronological order) and post the list here ~ naming traditions are your best way to get the parents names of Michael & Bridget.

Your best bet is, now that you have a month's subscription to rootsireland and can get up to 1000 transcriptions then to go in and see are there other Regans in the same parish.

So, what did Michael work at ?

Did he stay in Galway City ?

Have you found him, Bridget or any of their children on the 1901 / 1911 Irish Census ?

If they are on the census, look for their neighbours, see are any of the neigbours possibly related.

You will need to tray and see did Michael & Bridget have younger siblings whom may have married after 1864 when our civil registration began.

If you got a civil marriage for say a younger brother of Michael then THIS would have their father's name and occupation on it.

If there is anything more that you can tell us, then please do and we can try and help you some more !

Tara

Offline Bockety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 19:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a Civil Parish of St Nicholas too.

That Civil Parish has been fully  mapped in recent months by the Openstreetmap Irish Boundaries project and you may see it here. Clicking on a townland in the Civil Parish will get you a link you to data on that Townland inc census records and the parent Barony  (Galway) is also mapped and linked.

http://www.townlands.ie/galway/st-nicholas/

Please note there is no copyright on usage of Openstreetmap data, all you need to do is credit Openstreetmap and its contributors if you reuse the data.

Offline DevonPaddyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a Baptism certificate for my GGF John Quirk at St. Nicholas Combined N&E, Galway. It is dated 1843 and states the denomination as Roman Catholic. The rootsireland records also list it as an RC church. Are we talking about the same place as The Church of St. Nicholas?
Ireland: Quirk(e), Flood, Quin, Toole,
Byrne, Brennan, Walsh
England: Andrews, Powell, Freeman, Yarnold, Mason,
Wainwright, Biddlestone, Sanders, Perrin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DevonPaddyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,
Some interesting stuff there but I'm not sure it addresses the question. Your posted reference seems to confirm St. Nicholas Combined N&E as a Roman Catholic source, but  Myluck's post refers to St. Nicholas as a Church of Ireland source and the Church of St. Nicholas site says its a CoI/Episcopalian church - so I'm a little confused.
Also your posted source lists the baptism records held by rootsireland for this church as 1859-1900, when I have earlier records from the same web site.
It's late -  I'm old - is it me?
Byrne, Brennan, Walsh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:53 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few pay sites with inaccurate or misleading record- with transcription errors or sources listed incorrectly and it sounds as though the baptism you got online falls under this.

I'm not familiar with that particular set of records but suspect that the baptism came from either the North or East register but the site has listed everything under North & East.

You'll see in the LDS article that they've microfilmed some of the records and it might be a good idea to check the actual microfilm- as well as verifying that baptism you might find other information of interest.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DevonPaddyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 November 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I've checked out a few sites and they all seem to agree with the The Irish Family History Foundation lists of records - these give four RC parishes in the Galway West area. These are, St. Nicholas East(Galway City), St. Nicholas North, St. Nicholas North & East and St. Nicholas South & West. Separately, they list CoI records including Galway City (St. Nicholas).

Elsewhere, the RC Parish title of St. Nicholas North and East is suffixed by the words (Market Street). 
So was there an RC church of St Nicholas in Market Street, somewhere in West Galway?
Byrne, Brennan, Walsh