Author Topic: James Nedham & Visitation 1569 & 1611  (Read 4535 times)

Offline grundy51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Nedham & Visitation 1569 & 1611
« on: Friday 31 October 14 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at the history of the Needham family and attempting to trace the Needham family lines.

In the Visitation of 1569 & 1611 to Derbyshire there is a Christopher Needham of Thornsett( who I believe was born around 1460) who had 7 children  Arthur, Edward, Christian, Humphrey, Isabel,  Agnes and Otwell. Christopher was married to Elizabeth Shalcross. But are these all Christopher's children?

The reason I ask is that in the Hertfordshire Visitation of 1634 there is a James Needham of Wymondley who was born in Derbyshire to a father Christopher. James was quite famous as he was Henry VIII's surveyor general & a master carpenter. I believe he was born around 1489. But is Christopher of Thornsett the father of James and if so why wasn't James mentioned as Christopher's son in the Derbyshire Visitation?

A further issue is that the Hertfordshire  Visitation has Christopher's father as John Needham of Needham Grange whereas Christopher's father is stated as Otwell Needham of Thornsett in the Derbyshire Visitation. Are the two Christopher's the same person or are they different families? Can anyone help please?

Nigel

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline grundy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Nedham & Visitation 1569 & 1611
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Miriam

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had already seen the reference you highlighted and built the information into my tree

Nigel

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure - sorry it isn't anything new to add  :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 October 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thornsett and Needham Grange are two seperate places.  So two seperate families
who originally all came from Needham.

However the following may assist explain:-

http://www.needham-home.co.uk/id4.htm

http://www.lackfamily.net/genealogy/names/nedham.html

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline grundy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 October 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi spendlove thanks for the prompt reply  and the 2 references.
From what I've found the Needham (Nedham/Nedeham/de Nedham depending on date) family originated from Needham in Derbyshire and had a knack of marrying well and thus acquired land through marriage. As you  state, the Needham's originated from Needham ( called High Needham or Needham Grange depending on date). The earliest reference to the Needham's is William de Nedham living in 1102 at Needham  who was William de Stanton but married a Nedham and took the Nedham name. The Nedhams continue to live at Needham until Thomas de Nedham b ~ 1308 d after 1339 who had 2 sons Thomas and William. Thomas married Maud Mellor the heiress of Thornsett and William married Alice Cranage the heiress of Cranage in Cheshire. William's descendants became the Earls of Kilmorey owning land at various times in Cheshire, Shropshire, Jamaica and Ireland. Of Thomas's descendants some stayed in Derbyshire and variously owned properties at Thornsett, Cowley, Snitterton and of course Needham. However, some of Thomas's  descendants left the county and moved to Leicestershire, Hertfordshire, East Anglia and Lincolnshire. It is these links I'm trying to establish. Eventually Thomas's descendants sold the Derbyshire properties around the beginning of the 17th century
The 2 references you quote, particularly the data in the Lack site, give substantial detail of the Needham family and the properties they owned (summarised above). They are all descendants of William de Nedham of  Needham in Derbyshire and bought, were gifted and/or married into property. Perhaps there is a lesson here for us to learn!

If anyone can help establish these links and in particular the link to James in Hertfordshire, I would be extremely grateful

Nigel