Author Topic: Dublin Tenement Burials - Charlemont Street  (Read 18517 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Tenement Burials - Charlemont Street
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 January 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dathai,

Thank you for your reply - I did pay to view the Glasnevin record for Christopher Doyle age 68 in 1912, it states marital status Widower, address - Clarence Place and informant Bridget Leavy. I checked the 1911 census for Dublin again and entered Christopher Doyle - 2 records came up. 1 is for my ancestor at Charlemont Villas and the other is for the man buried in Glasnevin: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/South_Dock/Erne_Street__Upper/94432/

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 January 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Alan - looking through newspaper records threw up this death for (possible) son Denis in 1935.

DOYLE (Galway)-March 31. 1935. at Central Hospital, Galway, Denis, eldest son of Mrs. Mary Doyle and the late Christopher Doyle (Kit), Dargel, Bray, deeply regretted by his sorrowing mother, and sister.
The death record records his birth as 1887 which is out by 8 years, but there is something about the dates in this family that simply does not hang together (difference in 1901 and 1911 census ages)
So I wonder, have you the original marriage cert of Christopher and Maria/Mary as this seems the only concrete piece of info and the names you are dealing with are not exactly rare.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 January 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hasta,

I have seen this record also however Denis Doyle my Great Uncle was born in Sep 1875, I have his birth and baptism records from Bray - that's 12 years out so I don't think this is him. Also I know his mother Maria Doyle from her letter in 1932 was living close to 3 of his brothers Thomas, Jack & Henry in Dublin, if there was an obituary for Denis they would be mentioned in it also, not just 1 sister - he had at least 3 brothers and 4 sisters living in 1935. Also the marriage cert between Christopher & Maria Doyle was Jan 5th, 1873 in Enniskerry. I think due to the commonness of the names I will not find out what happened to the Doyle's until the release of the 1927 census.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Attached is a photo of Christopher and Maria Doyle's son John (Jack) Doyle.                 
Does anyone recognize this uniform? - this would have been in Dublin between 1910 - 1930.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 October 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Just an update on this, I still have not found the burial location for Christopher & Maria Doyle but I have found some more information about them. One of their daughters Christina Doyle married a John Francis McAuliffe on November 5th, 1900. Her address at the time is listed as 92 Harcourt Street. In the 1901 census she is listed with her husband a railway man at 38 Maitland Street, Bray. In the 1911 census she is listed at Clare Lane, Trinity Ward, Dublin, no children born to the couple as of 1911. That is the last record I have for her. 
I also found a record on Christopher Doyle in the newspapers concerning a Dublin court case involving the care of a child called Louisa Hollywood around 1900.
As for Maria Doyle in the 1901 census she was working on Georges Street as a cook for a Dublin Catholic Solicitor / Law Agent called Michael O'Reilly.
If anyone can find any extra information on any of the above people it would be a great help!

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Given that on the 1911 census Christopher is listed as 71, that would make his birth around 1840(ish).  There are two possible deaths prior to 1932 that have the right age (still long shots)

Christopher Doyle died 1930 aged 89 registered Rathdrum http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/9df3e28658666

Christopher Doyle died 1925 aged 82 registered Dublin South http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/b14f0b8899751
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
The 1925 record is  not him, I have the death cert this Christopher Doyle is listed as single and a carpenter.

I will look into the 1930 record.

Thanks,
Alan

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
There is a tiny article in the Irish Independent from March 1953 about an inquest into the death of a Mary Doyle (77) a pensioner living at 22 Charlemont Place (the address on the letter from the 1930's). I can't figure out if it is complete coincidence. Maybe another Mary Doyle moved into that address after Mary Doyle died ? Mary/Maria Doyle would surely be in her late 90's in 1953, but maye worth following up.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, there was a daughter Mary Doyle born 1873, so this could possibly be her, is there an exact date of death?