Author Topic: How to check NAAIRS looking for a Birth/Baptism in Krugersdorp 1906  (Read 3764 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How to check NAAIRS looking for a Birth/Baptism in Krugersdorp 1906
« on: Saturday 01 November 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello at South Africa rootschat page
I thought it might be possible to check NAAIRS for possible ways to search for a Birth/Baptism but have had 2 emails so far returned with the message - Your message can't be delivered because delivery to this address is restricted.
Is it possible to find anything on the NAAIRS site via an email enquiry....?
If so, could someone please tell me the correct email address to use....?
Or - if not via the NAAIRS website, ways to check  for the Birth/Baptism of:
WILKE, Leslie Beaumont (male) born 1906 in Krugersdorp.
Parents Walwin Harold WILKE and Getrude Eugene nee MELVILLE.

Thanks in advance
Barb (Down Under)

Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to check NAAIRS looking for a Birth/Baptism in Krugersdorp 1906
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Naairs is the National Archive site, and mainly deals with estate files, legal matters and the odd adoption.

To search for births/baptisms/marriages the best site is familysearch.com.  I would think that he would probably have been baptised in either the Church of the Province of South Africa or possibly the Methodist Church.  If you have a date of birth that would narrow down the search.

Hope this helps
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nookie - not sure if I'm following the right procedure re familysearch as I can't find anything on this Baptis,/birth.
(maybe it's not there!)

I have tried different approaches -
Search from main page -nil
Search from south africa - nil
Search bdm - nil
Now I've worked my way page by page through various Sth. African church parish records that actually have baptisms for the time I want - still - nil
I know there are many more churches, but not sure if I'm wasting my time as I don't know if what I want is not showing up when I do a general search, because it isn't there, or if I do actually have to go through the church records page by page.....
I've gone through any Krugersdorp church that covers Baptisms for the time I want and also the  Doornfontein church where the parents were married.
I am also covering the dates from before the dob I have until I know the family came to Australia, on the offchance that they had the child baptised at a time later than his dob.
Can you clarify for me if I'm attacking this the right way please...?
Barb

Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 November 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
You are doing it the right way.  I looked through the Krugersdorp images for the Church of the Province of SA for the time period with no luck.

When I googled the names I found a date of birth of 28 August 1906 for Leslie, but could not find proof of it on any of the sites I looked at.  There does however seem to be quite a bit of information on the net regarding the family.

Of course there is always the thought that he was not baptised at all.  The information on familysearch covers baptisms not births per se, although often the birth date is mentioned.  If the date of birth is correct you should be able to go to the SA embassy and apply for an unabridged birth certificate.

Unfortunately the information on familysearch is all done by volunteers so  there is a good chance that, even if the information is out there, it just has not been done yet.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 November 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Nookie.
The website where you have seen information on the WILKE family is mine - www.familyquest.bndon.com
And all the sites that show up relate to posts and queries of mine on the family, so no joy there.
His date of birth was obtained from his WW2 War Service record on the Australian National Archives website, but apart from that I have no documentation - hence the search of the SAfrican records.
I may just give up and accept that it is correct as it would have been provided by the man himself when he enlisted.
Thanks again for your advice on this matter.
Now all I have to do is try to find information on his mother's background......   ???
 ;)
She (Gertrude Eugene MELVILLE) b. c1889 (where...??) married Walwin Harold WILKE in Doornfontain, Sth. Africa in April 1906 and came to Australia with their son Leslie aged 6 in 1913.
She returned to Sth. Africa after the death of her husband in 1953, coming back to Australia in 1960.
And that's all I know about her....
Regards
Barb
Researching:

Researching:

Offline lewskannen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 November 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb

If you go to http://www.identitynumber.org/marriage-lookup.php and do a lookup for Wilke, I found a Daniel Pieter Wilke who married in Krugersdorp in 1934. Not sure if there are any relations.

You can also take a look at death notices here - http://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=WILKE

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi lewskannen and thanks for your input.
That's a great site you mention.  :)
Will see how I go, and thanks again.
Barb
Researching:

Researching:

Offline Carol Carmen Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WILKE QUERY
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 September 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
WILKE, Leslie Beaumont (male) born 1906 in Krugersdorp.
Parents Walwin Harold WILKE and Getrude Eugene nee MELVILLE.

Just curious.....looking for a Fredrik Wulke/Wilke who married Ellen Catherine Francis Oreilly(b.6.10.1860) in South Africa(cape town) 1.1.1883. Then disappeared. no trace of them again.

Just thought I would try my luck.

Thanks

Carol Dunn

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 September 17 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol
Sorry for the delay in replying - have been away from my PC and database.
I am also sorry I can't add anything to help you as I haven't come across those names in my husband's background.
Good luck :-)
Researching:

Researching: