Author Topic: Edris Thomas Death??  (Read 3224 times)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edris Thomas Death??
« on: Sunday 02 November 14 08:39 GMT (UK) »
My mother-In-Law was born in 1909 in Brynmawr/Crickhowell and her parents were Maud Maria Williams and Edris Thomas who married in 1906.  On the 1911 census Maud is back living with her Williams family in Crickhowell and Edris is back with his Thomas family.  M-I-L (now deceased) told me her father fell down a mountain while drunk when she was a baby so never knew him!!!!! :-\

I have been unable to find a death for an Edris/Idris Thomas around the time of my M-I-L's infancy, and wonder if when parents split up that was the general story they told the children. ??? ???

Edris's mother was Leah (nee Jones) and father was William Thomas.

Tessiewessie

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edris Thomas Death?????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
The closest match I can see is Idris Thomas Jun Q 1945 Crickhowell Age 64

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Idris deserted her

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4120371/ART118/idris%20thomas - last item under Brynmawr Police Court, headed Maintenance

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I cant thank you enough Mabel for finding this info regarding Idris Thomas.  I never did think he had died. :-*

Is it possible you can look for Edith May Thomas's separation from her husband which may also have been in the paper.  Her husband was Ernest James Jones and they were married circa 1929.  ???

Ernest went off to war circa 1940 as a medic and they seperated when he returned around 1946/7.  Ernest left her some time between 47-52 and didnt pay maintenance for their son.  Ernest's father, a deceased  policeman, had friends still in the policeforce and one of them found Ernest and arrested him.  Edith attended the police station on his arrest and Ernest apparently fell to his knees and begged her not to prosecute him.  I wonder if that too would have been reported in a local Abertillery newspaper. :-\

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Sadly the Welsh Newspapers online site only goes up to 1919. I haven't got a sub to other sites that might have more recent papers

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 11:20 GMT (UK) »
No problem Mabel regarding Edith May etc., but a big thank you for finding Idris.  I will now look to see if Maud ever divorced him and remarried.  Apparently she did have a 2nd 'husband' who, I was told, was a blacksmith in Abertillery, but no proof of that either.

Once again thanks :-* :D