Author Topic: Rutland house employee's ?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Rutland house employee's ?
« on: Sunday 02 November 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I was wondering if Rutland House Co. Carlow would have had any employee's in service or was this not a large enough house to employ servant's, groom's etc.
If this house was an employer would any record's still survive and would anyone know where they may be found.

With thanks' Diarmuid.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rutland house employee's ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 14 13:00 GMT (UK) »
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CW&regno=10300716

Link with photo of Rutland House.  May be of interest.

How far back are you looking for?  1901/1911 census?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 Dublin Evening Mail included this description

".....an estate of 205 Irish plantation or 333 statute acres......; upwards of £2000 has been lately expended in building a good, roomy and substantial dwelling house, consisting of three sitting rooms, five bed rooms, with suitable servant and culinary apartments &c, with a large walled in garden well stocked with fruit trees in full bearing and extensive out offices of every description, with suitable farm yards and haggard all walled in ...."     

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you both for your help, the site with the image of the house I had already been on and it did not really give the information I am looking for.
The census will not help as the person I am looking into died in the late 1880's, the period I am keen to look into is the late 1870's through to the late 1880's.
The article does indicate that the house may have had servant's at some period, if there are any records of those is service at this house I would be interested in locating them should someone know of their whereabouts.

Once again thanks Diarmuid.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland