Author Topic: Reading a Statutory Register  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reading a Statutory Register
« on: Monday 03 November 14 07:13 GMT (UK) »
 I have been on Scotlands People looking for one of my GGGrandfathers daughters I found on their  SR Death Searches who I was looking for but wandered if someone could tell me when it says district Kelton and county Kirkcudbright does that mean that she will be buried in Kelton Cemetery if so could someone please check an MI for her she was Jane McQueen nee Anderson died 1876 aged 52 that's all I have, i paid 6 credits to Scotlands People to get more information  but when I bought it up it had like a mesh image on it so i couldn't get any more information.
Thanking You
Christine

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reading a Statutory Register
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
No, it doesn't mean that's where she was buried. Kelton was just the district where the death was registered. She could have been buried anywhere, although there's more chance that she was buried not too far away.

As regards you not being to read the record then ScotlandsPeople has this advice:

"I can't read the information on this image. What should I do?

Please contact our customer support selecting the "Illegible Image" option from the Issue dropdown box on the contact form. In the "Description" field please state as much information you can about the image e.g. name, year, GROS/NAS reference number and the type of image."

Imber

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 14 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just looked at the image and it's come up perfectly clear for me so it must be something to do with the option that you've chosen to view it with or a poss computer problem.

What info do you need?

Married to James McQueen, formerly a joiner.
Lived Cotton Street, Castle Douglas.
Parents - James Anderson and Margaret M.S. McKeand (?). Both deceased.
Cause - Phithisis Pulmonalis, 6 months.
Informant - son William McQueen.

I have the Kelton MIs if you'd like further info.

If she died Castle Douglas, Kelton would be the most likely burial place.

Gadget

PS - Seems she lived in same Street as parents :  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=688095.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Just realised that as she died in 1876, she wouldn't appear in the published  pre-1855 MIs unless she was recorded on an older tombstone (and she wasn't on the one her father is recorded on - see linked thread referred to in my previous post).

To find out where the plot was, you'd need to contact the relevant D&G office. For Kelton/Castle Douglas, this would be the office that's just north of Castle Douglas in a small industrial estate just off the Parton Road. They were very helpful when I called in.

The general contact details are here:

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3398

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Imber for that, I have been on Scotlands People and this time success must have been a glich on my laptop and Gadget thanks once again for the information I will go on the D&G site,just wanted to let you know that I have booked my ticket for next April to visit Scotland when I am there I will visit Kelton where my GGGrandfather is and also Kirkpatrick Durham where my GGGGrandfather is I am still looking for the elusive Alexander which he would be my 4th great then I will head to York where my GGrandfather is buried and some other relatives for more information then to National Archives anyway thanks again until next time.
Kind Regards
Christine

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

For when you visit~

Another place that might help is Castle Douglas Library. It has a local studies section. They are very helpful. It's at the east end of King Street.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 10:13 GMT (UK) »
PS

Re the old Kelton burial ground :

Access to the burial ground is by a farm lane and a sheep-proof revolving gate. It is well maintained (Carpark for one in the lane).
National Grid reference : NX762 603 behind a cottage on the east side of the road.

from the MI booklet

On map:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=276225&y=560240&z=120&sv=276225,560240&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=549&ax=276225&ay=560240&lm=0

Gadget

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for the information about the library and the cemetery also the map I had downloaded one but not as good as yours thanks once again.
Kind Regards Christine
Auckland, New Zealand