Author Topic: Patrick Smith/Margaret McPhillips Monaghan  (Read 11136 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Smith/Margaret McPhillips Monaghan
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 December 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
also found this one... Smith Danl. 1827 N. E. Liberties Coleraine, Co. Derry. Suburbs of Coleraine

Not sure what happened to J.J.'s message that was there a minute ago but it was for a Daniel Smith, Coleraine in 1827 tithes list. Coleraine is about 80 miles from Monaghan. This is possibly the same Daniel Smith/Smyth in 1831 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1831/Londonderry/Coleraine/Coleraine/Coleraine_Ferryquay_Street/98/

A Mary Smyth, widow of a Daniel Smyth, died 28 Aug.1848 at Coleraine.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 December 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't sure that it was in close enough proximity  :-\ I realized there are a lot of Daniels who could have moved at anytime from Monaghan

Landed Estate Court Files, 1850-1885 Ireland  are available to view at FHS search ctres Some images are online but not these ( also may be available at FindMyPast?)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCFG-J2V 
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCFG-J21
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 December 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Great info! Thank you. I will definitely have to get my hands on the probates.  I haven't been to an LDS center in years (since I had my son).  I have no proof they were from Monaghan.  The Settlers from Monaghan to PEI came in the mid 1830's to early 1840's (same time as these Smith's) and settled in the area where they lived.  The settlers were mainly from Monaghan, but I'm sure a few came from neighboring counties. Seemed perfect to have found (1) a Daniel Smith in the tithe's.
Very worried about the grave of Daniel and Margaret.  Hopefully not the one I was following in the petty courts... 
Coincidence they had the same names, I suppose.  My Daniel and Margaret would have been older. No luck with the graves.  I appreciate your help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 December 14 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm fairly certain that the Daniel Smith that was in tithe list in Coleraine was married to Mary (not Margaret) and did NOT have a son called Patrick.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 December 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!