Author Topic: Benjamin Roberts in Orleton  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Roberts in Orleton
« on: Monday 03 November 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I have had difficulty in finding where gg grandfather Benjamin Roberts, originated as he gives a different version in each census, probably as he was illiterate. Also he seems to have been quite young when he left home, before 1841.
His father was Charles Roberts and I have found a possible baptism 16 March 1828 in Orleton, Herefordshire.
However there is also a death registered for a Benjamin Roberts in the June quarter 1839 at Ludlow.

How can I eliminate this 'dead' Benjamin?
I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to do next.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Roberts in Orleton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

His father was Charles Roberts and I have found a possible baptism 16 March 1828 in Orleton, Herefordshire.
However there is also a death registered for a Benjamin Roberts in the June quarter 1839 at Ludlow.

The dead Benjamin cannot be your ancestor as you mention you have him on various census entries.

Was your Benjamin born around 1828?

Does he always give Hereford as his birth county but varies the exact part where he was born?

When and where did he marry and who did he marry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
Orleton is a village near Ludlow, so I am not sure if the Benjamin who died in 1839 was the one who was baptised there in 1828, in which case I had obviously got the wrong man.

The census records for my gg grandfather show the right sort of birth date, however:
1841 birthplace Worcestershire
1851 birthplace Hallon/ Halton Shropshire
1861 birthplace Ludlow
1871 birthplace Hatton/Halton Herefordshire

He lived most of his life in Worcester. Since he didn't sign his name on the marriage register I assumed he was illiterate. Given the local accents I could imagine an enumerator or someone mishearing the name of his village when filling in the census in 1851 & 1871 as I haven't found these places.

I didn't want to assume it was my gg grandfather Benjamin in Orleton until I had eliminated others. There is no Charles Roberts in Orleton in 1841 though there are several births to Charles and Anne Roberts in from 1824 - 1840 and I have managed to follow some of these children.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 he was 12yrs old and working on a farm in Worcs so may have been enumerated incorrectly although there is a place called Hallow in Worcs ???

I don't know Shropshire but can't find anywhere called Halton/Hatton on my usual list of places in relation to either Shropshire or Herefordshire. 

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/regindex2-1.pdf

What was father Charles occ on Benjamins marriage cert

I found this 1841 entry for Hallow in Worcs - all born in county

Charles Roberts   38 miller
Ann 40
John    14
James 7
Edwin 5
Jane 12
HO107 Piece 1201/2 Folio 6 page 4

The 1841 for Benjamin shows him in Inkberrow
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Orleton is very close to the border with both shropshire and Worcestershire

mike

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I had looked the Charles, the miller's, records originally but had not found a Benjamin born to that family. Also he gives his father's occupation as a labourer.

In 1841 Benjamin is an ag servant ? (unclear) in Warndon living with the Byrd family who were farmers. Nearby were a family called Harding.
In 1851 he was still in Warndon as a journeyman cordwainer but is now living with the Harding family.
It is from 1851 I can trace him with certainty.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
have you looked in Bitterley in Shropshire, quite near Ludlow, oh no father is not Charles, but Benjamin death may be him.