Author Topic: 1812- Why were they in Renfrewshire & not Aberdeenshire?  (Read 9141 times)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1812- Why were they in Renfrewshire & not Aberdeenshire?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 February 15 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deebel,
Sorry for the delay in replying - I had to fish out my notes, as Christmas & despair got in the way!
Margaret never mentioned Renfrew as her birthplace, & her age jumps around:
41' census: Aberdeenshire(lived Forgue)age 25. 51' census: Perth (lived New Deer)age 36.   61'census: Monquitter (lived Old Deer)age 47. 71'census: Perth (lived Peterhead)age 56.  81'census:Perth (lived Peterhead)age 69 (or 7,hard to read). 91'census: Perth (lived Peterhead)age 77.  In 1894, on admittance to the Poors Lodging House, she was born in Cruden in 1812!
With the confusion of birthplaces, I wonder if her parents were travelling when she was born.
Have searched for other births, using Wildcards for James Young/Yung/Youngson, mother Catharine/ Katharine etc, but there's only the one with surname Forbes. Other James Young /Catharine births in Renfrew have quite different surnames.
I may never find out this one! cheers, Anne
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 February 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I doubt if the baptism in Renfrew is for your Margaret Youngson. The surname does look like Young. Parish Registers for that time are notoriously inaccurate, with lots of baptisms seeming to have gone unrecorded, so it’s more than possible that the baptism of Margaret Youngson in about 1812 simply isn’t in the extant records.

FamilySearch baptism have these baptisms which could be worth following up:
Mary Youngson bap 14 December 1794 Monquitter, father James Youngson
William Youngson bap 5 April 1793 Kennethmont, father James Youngson
For both baptisms the mother has not been named.

If James and Katherine were having children in the 1790s and then had Margaret in about 1812 in Perth, there’s a good chance there were other children born in the early 1800s. But the above two are the only ones that come up on FamilySearch. Could be worth having a good search on ScotlandsPeople.

Forgue, Monqhitter, New Deer and Old Deer are all within the same area, and aren’t very far from Peterhead. The puzzle is why Margaret’s birth place is given as Perth as that’s a lot further south.

Have you accessed Margaret’s death certificate? Does it say anything about her parents? Does it mention her husband?
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 February 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, JM, the original does say Yung & Young(in the margin), so it was the mother Catharine Forbes which took me to it. It was the possibility of the entry being hurriedly written down incorrectly.......  :)
I've been searching on Scotlandspeople, not getting anything, Scotland wide, for James & Catharine.
I had found Mary Youngson in Monquhitter, father James is from "Greens", but no witnesses named.
Will follow up William, & do another search with just father "James" & no mother - I'm learning, at some cost, the intricacies of searching SP!
As you say, the puzzle is, why Perth?
Margaret's Death Cert has no parents mentioned, she died in the Poors Lodging House, Peterhead, & the Superintendent was the informant. I got all her admittance info from Aberdeen Archives (very helpful people), but still no parents.
Her husband Peter died way back in 1875.  Many thanks for your help & interest, cheers, Anne
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter