Author Topic: walter gawthorpe  (Read 2232 times)

Offline kenmeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
walter gawthorpe
« on: Wednesday 05 November 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
walter Gawthorpe was my grandfather and was killed in ww1. The Gawthorpe family lived Sculcoates and Cumberland street area,i would be grateful for any information please.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: walter gawthorpe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The Commonwealth War Graves site - CWGC.org has the following details:

Private, 236022 1st/8th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers was killed in action on 14.8.1918 aged 27.  He is buried in Plot 2, Row F, Grave 28 at Bertrancourt Military Cemetery, Somme, France.

He was the husband of Margaret Gawthorpe of 74 Oxford Street, Hull.

If you go to the website you will find the entry and if you click on Betreancourt Military Cemetery (on the website) if opens up another page giving more details.

A record on Ancestry states that he was Formerly 201363, Yorks Regt.  You'll also find details on http://www.findagrave.com.

Do you have access to Ancestry or Findmypast to look at various census to find out his life before he went into the army.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken....This is uncanny...See attached photo of part of our recent WW1 exhibition at Carnegie Heritage Centre in Hull  :o

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken...I have been in touch with the person who put the poems on display with Walter's name...I think the volunteer who put this together made an error on his death date as there is only one Walter Gawthorpe who lost his life in WW1.
If you want to send me a PM with your details I can put you in touch with someone who has a lot of info about your Granddad and his Father who went to France to help clear the battlefields of bodies. She is a regular visitor to the Carnegie Heritage Centre and has visited the cemetery in France where he is buried. The words that you see in the poem in the photo I sent...are the words placed in the Hull Daily Mail by relatives after his death.
Carol...Carnegie Volunteer.
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU