Author Topic: Pension certificate query ...  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Pension certificate query ...
« on: Saturday 02 July 05 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I posted on this man a while back and got some leads.  I then went to check out the military records for this chap (my grandfather) at Kew but they are 'missing' which is a great pity as I know very little about his military life.

I have a Pension Certificate and wondering if some of the details on it will indicate where I might look for further info.  He served in the Boer War and later in WW1 not sure exactly where early on, but definitely in Belfast 1916-1917 as he was married there).  The Marriage cert indicates occupation: Private Northumberland Fuseliers.  Residence Victoria Barracks, Belfast, dated Sept 1917.

Pension certificate info

No. of Certificate 187
William Webb
age 41
....... of the Rifle Bridgade Regiment.......
Admitted to pension on 27.02.02
Signed  L? R? Jackman  ?/supt
Station Winchester
Date 8.4.1919

Thanks for any help
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pension certificate query ...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 05 01:54 BST (UK) »
jonathan was your gt/g/father 41 in 1902 or is that his age in 1919,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
Mack

I should have made that clearer - he was 41 in 1919, born. Dec 1877.

Cheers
Jonathan

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 05 15:22 BST (UK) »
jonathan,he was in the 3rd garrison battalion[home service]northumberland fusilier,1917 general service in ireland,garrisoned in belfast 1918,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 05 16:17 BST (UK) »
jonathan,i dont think i can be of much help with william,if he served with this home service batt through the war,then he wont have any war medals,so you cant track him that way,did you have a gt uncle called george webb who was also in the infantry,i found him and william as being born in hammersmith,mack

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 05 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack

Thanks for that.  Family oral history says he did serve in the Boer war (which I guess is confirmed by the 'pensioned out' date of 1902) as well as WW1 but nothing to prove that. No George in the family.  However, his brother was James and I do have a medal for him which is ... (also cannot find any info at Kew for James!)

Pvt James Webb, East Lancashire Regiment.  6393. Transvaal, Orange Free State, Cape Colony.

Think I have too little info so perhaps will have to spend another afternoon at Kew digging around  ;)

Regards
Jonathan

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 July 05 17:46 BST (UK) »
jonathan,both lads will be in the kings and queens south africa medal rolls,mack

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 05 17:50 BST (UK) »
Mack,

Thanks for that.  Sorry to sound like a complete dimwit, but does that mean I can look them up and find some information on their military records?  and if so, where??

Thanks for your patience, I'm just not familiar with military records at all - I also have a brutal hangover :(

Cheers
Jonathan

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 05 18:29 BST (UK) »
jonathan hangovers are a reminder to us blokes,that we were allowed out,i am the same when it comes to civil records,you will find out which actions they fought in because of the battle clasps,if you earned the queens medal then you got the kings as well,the medal you have is the queens SA medal it should have a green,white and gold ribbon,that means his other medal is missing,look on the rim of the medal,his name,rank and number should be engraved on it,mack