Author Topic: Llanlawddog - Hengod Hamlet  (Read 3686 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llanlawddog - Hengod Hamlet
« on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please if above are near each other. I have been searching for a Thomas Lewis c. 1773. On every Census I have found him he states born Llanlawddog but searching various websites only brings up births of Henllan Amgoed or Hengoed Hamlet. Are these different villages?
Thank you,
Syljun

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llanlawddog - Hengod Hamlet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any personal knowledge of the area,but looking at the Genuki descriptions they appear to be three quite distinct places.Each page has a "Maps" section you can access to see the separations.It can also be useful sometimes to search for postcodes for the locations involved.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanllawddog/

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/HenllanAmgoed/

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/gazetteer.html#H
(Hengoed hamlet is listed and linked to Llanelli)

Regards
Roger

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 14 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roger, The surnames of Lewis and Bowen seems to be very common in Carmarthenshire especially around Llanelli. I have always found Carmarthenshire very difficult to research.
I think FindmyPast must have also found it difficult as I have informed them of an error.
Looking for a baptism for 1813 the page with name and year in Index comes up on accessing original as 1847 and they cannot do searches to find  the one I want although the result page gives correct name, year and Church being St.Elli, Llanelly.

If anyone can find a Baptism for Hannah Lewis b.1812/1813 most probably St.Elli, Llanelly where her siblings baptisms and parents marriage were. Parents being Thomas and Elizabeth Lewis I would be most grateful.
Many thanks for any help, Syljun

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
It could be a very lengthy exercise with no guarantee of success,but you could use the back arrows for previous images to go from 1847 to 1812/1813!Unfortunately,those years are often the cut off
point for data in the form you want,but if you've got a spare hour and don't get Repetitive Strain Injury you could give it a go!

Regards
Roger

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I think it will be a case of "on the backburner".  I keep going back from time to time on this family hoping new info. will be online.
I have always purchased michrofiche for my research but when enquiring at Carmarthen Record Office some time ago I was informed it was too expensive to do that. Many Record Centres have them on film and microfiche. I have purchased certain discs from His.Soc. but not every thing is available.
Thanks for advice,
Regards,
Syljun

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Obviosly the record for 1813 you referred to doesn't have the appropriate parents as per the transcription.
You may have seen the following,which has it's own limitations,but just in case

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=4034867&v=MTQxNTMwMzg0NDo3OTBjZWNlNjJkYzBkZjJhODcyMTY1ZWY4N2Q4NWI2NTA3ZGJhZTA1

Regards
Roger

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
When you say "only brings up births of..." do you actually mean the place of christening or the abode on the christening, because this is pre-certificate? If you do mean births, what sources are these? Place of christening can be very different to place of birth. One of my families come from Carmarthenshire and I know one of them was actually 9 years old when he and his sisters were collectively christened, so he might not even have been promptly done as a baby. A family could travel for various reasons or the family might have moved by the time the child was christened.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Have spent hours going back over my research notes which has left me more confused.

Mount Pleasant, Llanelly
1861 Census has Anne Bowen 55 Widow
Margaret Bowen Dau. Unmarried 23
Hannah Thomas- Sister - 49 - Widow
David Thomas - nephew - 16 - Unmarried

1851 Census - Old Gate, Llanelly
Anne Bowen Wid. 47
Mary - Dau. 15
Margaret - Dau. 12
Thomas Lewis - Father -78-Ag.Lab. b. Llanlawddog.

If Hannah Thomas is Anne's sister then Thomas Lewis is their Father.

Perhaps I have the wrong marriage for Thomas Lewis.

Sure needs help. Syljun

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at that possible anomaly and think the likely solution is that Anne Bowen is the widowed daughter (married to John Bowen 1835 Dafen,Carmarthen?) of Thomas Lewis and Margaret Treharne,married 1803.
In the 1841 census,ref HO 107 1379  5/7 8,THomas and Margaret are at Mount Pleasant,with Ann Bowen and family next door.In 1851 Thomas is widowed and living with Ann(e)

Regards
Roger