Author Topic: Coldingham M.I.  (Read 3645 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Coldingham M.I.
« on: Thursday 06 November 14 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have the M.I. for Coldingham?
  After much use of my plastic at ScotsPeople I have decided to go this route and ask for assistance in finding out if there is an M.I. for….
….Archibald Johnston born c 1786 and appears to have died between 1859 and 1861 (as per census and marriages of his children)
  Archibald was a Tailor.
Archibald was listed dec' at marriage of a child in Jun 1859.

His wife "Allison Bruce" was listed as head of household in 1861.
Allison Bruce died Mar 20 1869 in Coldingham,listed as widow.
Hoping a M.I. will show a glimmer of light on Archibald.
  Thanks  for reading this…Ann
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coldingham M.I.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
HAD A QUICK LOOK  - only archbald johnston is a fisherman died 15.05.1860 year 72

wife is mary dickson

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 14 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Terianne…yes I looked at him and others on ScotsPeople and have my doubts…I do not believe he would switch from his profession as a "Tailor" to a Fisherman.
It was then I decided to post and see if there was a M.I. or gravestone for he and his wife…One never knows…..Thanks for trying.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 14 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Why have you narrowed down the death years of Archibald the way you have? Do you have another child getting married before 1859 where Archibald showed as still alive. You mention that on one marriage in June 1859 he already showed as deceased?

If you are not finding his death, it may be he died after the date of the 1851 census and up to the end of 1854...and the start of official statutory registration from 1855. Unfortunately, there may not be a statutory certificate or entry in the Old Parish Registers for his death or burial.

Hopefully, you will find some confirmation at least of his death  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marysco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi have just seen your post. I,too, am descended from Archibald Johnston and Alison Bruce. He was indeed a tailor but he went bankrupt. Do you know who his parents were? Her parents were George Bruce and Elizabeth Gillie. I don't know where they are buried but will try other graveyards in Berwickshire. It could be they were too poor to afford a headstone.
Regards.