Author Topic: Robert EDWARD(S) bapt c1828 in Llandanwg  (Read 3321 times)

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Robert EDWARD(S) bapt c1828 in Llandanwg
« on: Thursday 06 November 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
For my second great grandfather, Robert EDWARDS, I have the following records:-
* Marriage certificate, showing that on 30 Mar 1852 he married Laura THOMAS at the Llandanwg Parish Church where he was a Mariner of full age with place of residence as Harlech -- with father as Robert EDWARDS, Mariner
* !871 Wales Census, showing him aged 45, an Inn Keeper living with his wife & children at Clogwyn Inn, Harlech with his birthplace as Harlech
* 1881 Wales Census, showing him aged 52, a Slate Miner (Quarrier) living with his wife & children at 3 Tryfer Terrace, Harlech with his birthplace as Harlech
* Death certificate, showing that he died aged 50, on 28 Apr 1887, a Slate Miner at Tryfer, Harlech

Based on this limited set of information, my best guess is that he was born in early 1829 or more likely sometime in 1828. Unfortunately, I cannot find any online Llandanwg Baptism Parish records, although the London Family History Centre website indicates that there are:-
     a) Bishop's transcripts 1676-1897
     b) Parish registers 1695-1812
     c) Church records 1812-1840
If anyone has access to a) and/or c), I'd appreciate if you would do a look-up to see if there is a baptism c1828 for Robert EDWARD(S) where, if shown, his father will also be Robert & his mother will probably (but not definitely) be Elizabeth.

Thanks & regards, Rob (short for Robert) DAVIES
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDWARD(S) bapt c1828 in Llandanwg
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I should have added that in the 1861 Wales Census, Robert's wife Laura, shown as a Seaman's wife, plus their first two children (the younger being my great grandmother), is shown living with her parents at the Red Lion, Harlech.
I assume that Robert was away at sea when the 1861 Census was done.
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Your age of death doesn't make sense, so I checked it. Should read 59 not 50.
According to his 'Mate's Certificate of Service' he was born 29 July 1826 at Llandanwg, Merionethshire.
Parish Register at Gwynedd Archives, Dolgellau.
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Emyr, the delay in my response is due to only returning home late last night after spending the weekend away at Saffron Walden (near Cambridge) where my younger daughter & her family live.

Yes age of death is 59 not 50 -- another typo by me.

When I updated my entry for the subject Robert EDWARDS with DoB of 29 Jul 1826, Ancestry immediately came up with a copy of Robert's Mate's Certificate -- issued on 12 Mar 1851 -- from its UK Masters & Mates Certificates Index!
It's amazing how things start coming to light when there are some real facts available and I can now provide something new to the subject Robert's great grandson (my mother's first cousin), approaching his mid 80s who used to visit his grandmother's relatives in Harlech when he was a young boy!

Your fantastic efforts, yet again, are very appreciated
Best wishes, Rob
(from a rather grey & wet Fareham, Hampshire)
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can't guarantee it's the correct Robert Edwards, but seems likely, Llandanwg being a parish with very small population.
Page before or after on Ancestry shows his application form for Mate's Certificate. This lists the ships he's served on, which  belong to the Ports of Porthmadog, Caernarfon and Bangor,( if I remember correctly). The Crew's lists, if available, will be at Caernarfon Archives. Had he been a Captain rather than a mate, then his address would be shown on the List.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Report in Cambrian News & Merionethshire Standard, 8th Jan 1875:

Complaint against an Alehouse. -P.C. Cadwaladr Jones v. Robert Edwards, Clogwyn Inn, Harlecb. Complainant said that on the 25th December, about nine a.m., he called at the Clogwyn Inn, and found James Allen and Evan Williams sitting down there with a glass before each. Defendant told him it was he that had given them the ale. Defendant was fined 10s, with 11s costs.—James Allen and Evan Williams, the persons referred to in the last case, were then charged. They admitted the offence, and were fined 1s, with 9s costs each.

Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Emyr, very interesting & confirms that my 2xg gf was still at the Clogwyn Inn in 1875 as at the time of the 1881 Census he was a Slate Miner living at Tyfer Terrace.

In comparison, on my father's side, my g gf John David/Davies (born as David but married & died as Davies) was a Coal Miner living in Pentyrch, Glam when his son, my pat gf was born in 1876 but an Inn Keeper at the Old Ton Inn, Whitchurch, Glam at the time of the 1881 Census.

Regards, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============