Author Topic: Re Australian lookups offer  (Read 10762 times)

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re Australian lookups offer
« on: Sunday 18 July 04 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hallo Finding Ancestors

Thanks for your offer. I'd be grateful if you could give me any information regarding Thomas Taylor Cutbush, arrived in Australia from England around 1867, and last heard of in Port Melbourne, Victoria in 1885. His profession in England was mercantile clerk.I think he was born in 1844.

Many thanks

Charles

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Re Australian lookups offer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 04 14:48 BST (UK) »
 H i I am new to this chat thing. It seems a stupid question but have you googled thomas Taylor Cutbush as there is a marriage for him in New Zealand.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 04 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hallo Ruth

I've seen a reference to New Zealand, but not to a marriage there. Could you give the site address please?

Charles

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 04 15:11 BST (UK) »
I've been reading about Thomas Taylor Cutbush as a suspect in Jack the Ripper case - I am sure the same one. There are a lot of entries.
http://casebook.org/press_reports/times_%5Blondon%5D/lt920615.html
http://www.stjohnsinthecity.org.nz/about/documents/MarriagesStJohns.doc

Was on a site afew minutes ago I found by just Googling Thomas Cutbush abd there they said he was a clerk and traveller i'll see if I can find it

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 04 15:16 BST (UK) »
The case referred to in the sensational story told in 'The Sun' in its issue of 13th inst, & following dates, is that of Thomas Cutbush who was arraigned at the London County Sessions in April 1891 on a charge of maliciously wounding Florence Grace Johnson, and attempting to wound Isabella Fraser Anderson in Kennington. He was found to be insane, and sentenced to be detained during Her Majesty's Pleasure.

This Cutbush, who lived with his mother and aunt at 14 Albert Street, Kennington, escaped from the Lambeth Infirmary, (after he had been detained only a few hours, as a lunatic) at noon on 5th March 1891. He was rearrested on 9th idem. A few weeks before this, several cases of stabbing, or jabbing, from behind had occurred in the vicinity, and a man named Colicott was arrested, but subsequently discharged owing to faulty identification. The cuts in the girl's dresses made by Colicott were quite different to the cut(s) made by Cutbush (when he wounded Miss Johnson) who was no doubt influenced by a wild desire of morbid imitation. Cutbush's antecedents were enquired into by C.Insp (now Supt.) Chris by Inspector Hale, and by P.S. McCarthy C.I.D. -- (the last named officer had been specially employed in Whitechapel at the time of the murders there,) -- and it was ascertained that he was born, and had lived, in Kennington all his life. His father died when he was quite young and he was always a 'spoilt' child. He had been employed as a clerk and traveller in the Tea trade at the Minories, and subsequently cavassed for a Directory in the East End, during which time he bore a good character. He apparently contracted syphilis about 1888, and, -- since that time, -- led an idle and useless life. His brain seems to have become affected, and he believed that people were trying to poison him. He wrote to Lord Grimthorpe, and others, -- and also to the Treasury, -- complaining of Dr Brooks, of Westminster Bridge Road, whom he threatened to shoot for having supplied him with bad medicines. He is said to have studied medical books by day, and to have rambled about at night, returning frequently with his clothes covered with mud; but little reliance could be placed on the statements made by his mother or his aunt, who both appear to have been of a very excitable disposition. It was found impossible to ascertain his movements on the nights of the Whitechapel murders. The knife found on him was bought in Houndsditch about a week before he was detained in the Infirmary. Cutbush was the nephew of the late Supt. Executive.

O dear  I hope he was not related! Having read the Patricia Cornwell book it seems likely that he was not the Ripper! Anyway this is the part of family history that is interesting!
Ruth
South Africa

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 July 04 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hallo Ruth

Yes, I know about Thomas Hayne Cutbush's possible involvement in the Jack the Ripper murders. :D However, his father, Thomas Taylor Cutbush, did not die when Thomas Hayne was young - he instead took himself off to Australia and New Zealand and, after a while, disappeared.

I'm not aware of his ever going to South Africa, so I don't think you need to check under your bed each night for Jack the Ripper's dad. :D

Charles

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 July 04 13:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Ruth, I altogether missed your second link above, giving a marriage for Thomas Taylor Cutbush. That is extremely interesting information, and I'm very grateful to you for posting it.

Thanks

Charles

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Charles, Sorry, couldn't find anything on your Thomas Taylor Cutbush, but it looks like Ruth was able to be of assistance! Good Luck with your search. Cheers!
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 07:35 BST (UK) »
OK, well thanks for looking anyway. If this was the Thomas Taylor Cutbush that I am interested in, then his marriage was bigamous. In fact, it would never surprise me if other marriages came to light. Finding his death will be trickier - he could only die the once!

Charles