Author Topic: Storrs family  (Read 4266 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Storrs family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 May 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all an update for Dennis Storrs,
I got hold of his Birth Certificate.
On his Birth Cert Dennis was born 4 Nov 1913 at 56 The Screeds,Ashby,Scunthorpe, Only his mother is listed Hannah Storrs also living 56 The Screeds,Occupation House Keeper, as we knew previously father unknown.
Now i am struggling with finding anything on Hannah, i do have a possible death 1942 Scunthorpe giving her birth as abt 1873.
Any help greatfully recieved
Many thanks
Debbie xxx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 16 23:06 BST (UK) »
Does it say whether his mother was single?

This could possibly be her birth

Births Mar 1871 
Storrs    Hannah       
E. Retford    7b   8

From Freebmd  http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not allowed to give details of 1911 census or of 1939 registration, (nor have you asked me to) but a Hannah STORRS was housekeeper to a man near Scunthorpe in 1911 and still living with the same man in 1939.  In both cases, the age/DoB isn't quite right. :(                                                                                                                                                                                 
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 September 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all sorry to take so long getting back to you all.
Firstly can i say i have found no further info for Hannah Storrs,other than what is in my grandads birth cert, when she was living at the Screeds, Scunthorpe,(see previous posts) No birth,marriages, deaths or any census info, this women is an enigma she only exists on his birth cert.

But there is a twist in the tale.

The war 1939 census does have my grandad Dennis Storrs with his wife and Hannah Theaker house keeper( but theaker pencilled out and Storrs written in)along with William Theaker all living at the same address. So the question now is this Hannah Dennis's mum ?.
So i traced this lady and she is actually Hannah Ann Bennett b1872 Clarborough, Notts, she married in East Retford,Notts 1895 James Edward Storrs also born Clarborough, they had 3 children between 1896-1909.They are altogether as a family in the 1901 census.

Then between 1901 and 1911 census they seem to go their separate ways.
1911 Census Hannah Storrs is living Viaducts Gunness,Scunthorpe as a housekeeper,married, her 3 children and head of the house William J Theaker,Single.
Her Husband James Edward Storrs is living Ashby Scunthorpe married with Housekeeper Harriet Bartle widowed and her 2 children.

But the sting in the tale is Hannah also has another son Cyril Storrs b 1911 again no father listed mother listed as Hannah Storrs, Housekeeper, so why hasent she put James Edward Storrs as father on his birth cert, and to cap it all the hand writing on both Cyril and Dennis's birth certs is identical she is obviously mother to both of them.Why has she named them both Storrs, and is William Theaker possibly their fathers but for what ever the reason she hasent named him on the certs,or is maybe that she and James Edward Storrs where actually still in a relationship even though they both lived in separate households and if so why not name hi as the fathers.
More questions  ??? ??? ???
Then on Hannah Storrs death cert 1942 her husband James Edward is named on it so this is the correct death and person as above for Hannah Bennett.
Many thanks, not sure where to go now.
Debbie ::) ::)

Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 September 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
Surely they were named Storrs as that was her name at the time of their birth, whether she was with her husband or not.

On the 1939 Register (not census) when a name is crossed out it usually means that there was a marriage after 1939, in which case the new name is written next to it. Perhaps though, if I'm reading it correctly, Hannah took the name of Theaker unofficially, but as the 1939 register was used for official purposes, her real name ie. Storrs was added?

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 September 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom,
Many thanks for getting back to me, your possibly right about her giving them her married name, but why not put there father on the birth certs.
(I know when i registered my children my maiden name went on the certs as well as married name).
Also my dads name obviously Storrs is on my birth cert but my mums maiden name is also on
 i was born 1965.
 It states on internet search BMD Certificates.co.uk as follows:
(An full English birth certificate issued before 1969 will be presented in the 'landscape' fashion, and supply the following information: the name and gender of the child, their date and place of birth. The father's name and surname, and mother's name, surname and maiden name are listed, along with the father's occupation.
The mother's maiden name was added to the births, marriages and deaths index (BMD) held by the GRO (General Register Office) from the September quarter of 1911.)

So with that been the official line as above, the birth certs should have had Bennett on them, and while doing my research for my tree i have noticed that some birth registrations do have mothers maiden names on them especially on Ancestry site and BMD site.

The other option is that the original Hannah Storrs who i cant find anything on is correct,and her maiden name was Storrs and ive been unable to find her as yet i may have to widen my search,and maybe the 1921 census will yield some answers.
Many thanks
Debbie xx

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:05 BST (UK) »
You will find a lot of birth certificates don't have a father's name if the child is illegitimate, nothing uncommon about that. Unfortunately when that is the case there is no way of finding out for sure who was the father.