Author Topic: John Roche, Cork died March 11th, 1849  (Read 5514 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Roche, Cork died March 11th, 1849
« on: Saturday 08 November 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was looking at the headstone for my Great x 4 Grandfather John Roche who is buried in St Joseph's cemetery in Cork city and I noticed something very strange - on the tribute from his wife on the headstone she writes: "who died deplored by scores that stood in need, who was well disposed to dole as friend indeed". I find this a very strange tribute for a headstone and I think it may suggest there was something sinister about his death. I do not know much about him or where in Cork he died, however subsequent generations were found in Kinsale, Castletownroche, Glanworth and Cork City, also he may have been a miller. I looked online for a death cert for March 11th, 1849 but I could not find anything. I was wondering if his death would be recorded anywhere else i.e. newspapers (etc), I would appreciate any suggestions or help to find this, I am very curious to find out how he died.

Offline osekat66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Roche, Cork died March 11th, 1849
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
Alan, you seem to know a lot about your Roche family.  My family is descended from Edward Roche, a master boot and shoemaker in Cork (Patrick Street) around 1813-1847.  Any chance he is in your tree as well?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
I am wondering did she actually mean that he hated to see people in need and that he helped them, and that he was a friend indeed?

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
osekat66

I'm afraid I have no boot maker from Patrick street on my family tree, however a boot maker from Doneraile around the same time (1840's) is a distant relative. If you have males with the roche surname in your family get one of them to do the Family Tree Y Dna test, that will match you with other Roche's you are related to. I have 7 people matched on that at the Y67 level.

Offline Bernard Leeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
My mother's family was reportedly descended from Edward Roche of Cork City, who left around 1780 "to get away from them". The name became Rook and they were gamblers and boot makers in West Bromwich before becoming gas engineers.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 October 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
You might have to ask the local paper to ask for information on this.

Does not sound like he was very nice. Sound like he would not help anyone in need.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
Rathmore  - I actually found out the opposite,  his wife stated on the headstone "who died deplored by scores who stood in need" - that meant he died disgusted / strongly disapproving of the situation of scores who stood in need. As a miller he actually regularly gave the needy of Cork City bags of flour to ease their suffering "who was well disposed to dole as friend indeed" - he died in the Cholera outbreak in Cork City of 1848 - 1849. 

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 October 18 03:39 GMT (UK) »
So I may have been incorrect about my ancestor John Roche (1785-1849) being a Miller, I know all his sons became Millers & Millwrights, but I think he may be the John Roche listed in the 1844 directory link below, as owner of a Sand & Gravel Quarry at 14 Dublin Street, Blackpool. It is now the location of the Blackpool Tavern Sports Bar, anyone who knows the location well know the history of this location? Any info would help.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1844-5aldwellscountycitypogeneraldirectory/1844-5pages192to251/GeneralDirectory1844Pages234%20to%20239.pdf

Offline dkeane54321

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Alan, you seem to know a lot about your Roche family.  My family is descended from Edward Roche, a master boot and shoemaker in Cork (Patrick Street) around 1813-1847.  Any chance he is in your tree as well?

hi, I'm tracing a John Roche. he was a boot and shoe maker. he was living in 16 Charlotte quay cork.

he was married to Mary Anne and has a daughter Mary Anne who was born in 1868. any info please?

regards,

Dave