Author Topic: Castle Gardens Kilkenny to Melborne Australia Margaret Murphy and John Knox  (Read 8611 times)

Offline clath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I have just joined this site and wondering whether someone can help me. I have ancestors from Castle Gardens Kilkenny Ireland (can't find Castle Garden's on any Irish map) that immigrated to Melbourne Australia. Settled in Carlton Melbourne in the 1800's. They went by the names of Annie or Mary Murphy. Margaret Murphy. And John Knox. I realise so many Irish had these names and for me it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have some photos of these people. So if anyone is related somewhere with these people or might have heard of them can you contact me. Ohh also Castle gardens is in America somewhere?
Latham .banks .o'brien. Thorpe.Knox
Murphy .Stewart .okeefe keefe walsh breen

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Gardens
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Good morning and welcome to RootsChat.  I'm confused about 'Castle Gardens.'  Do you think it is in Ireland or in the United States?  If the latter, then Castle Garden was the point of entry for immigrants to New York City up until about 1890.  If you think these people went first to the US before going on to Australia, they might have entered at Castle Garden.  You can read about it here:

http://www.castlegarden.org/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) It's a great help that you've a place in Ireland (not just the name of the county) to start with. Castlegarden is the name of a townland (just over 1000 acres) in Co. Kilkenny (Kilfane civil parish, Thomaston Poor Law Union/civil registration district). The townland would have been their 'address' and is crucial for any research. (ignore the above post re: Castle Garden in New York, U.S.A.).

If you type castlegarden kilkinney into Google (ignore Castelgarden option) then click on link to Maps you'll see the location of Castlegarden (all one word)- Northeast of Thomastown.

You've started this topic in IRELAND RESOURCES (which is not for queries) but click on the 'report to moderator' link and ask for it to be moved to the KILKENNY board where it would get overlooked.

Murphy and Knox aren't uncommon names but the dates they were born/left Ireland will probably make a huge difference in what details can be found for them. So, can you give us an idea of when they were born and when they left Ireland so we can try to help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 14 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) It's a great help that you've a place in Ireland (not just the name of the county) to start with. Castlegarden is the name of a townland (just over 1000 acres) in Co. Kilkenny (Kilfane civil parish, Thomaston Poor Law Union/civil registration district). The townland would have been their 'address' and is crucial for any research. (ignore the above post re: Castle Garden in New York, U.S.A.).

If you type castlegarden kilkinney into Google (ignore Castelgarden option) then click on link to Maps you'll see the location of Castlegarden (all one word)- Northeast of Thomastown.

You've started this topic in IRELAND RESOURCES (which is not for queries) but click on the 'report to moderator' link and ask for it to be moved to the KILKENNY board where it would get overlooked.

Murphy and Knox aren't uncommon names but the dates they were born/left Ireland will probably make a huge difference in what details can be found for them. So, can you give us an idea of when they were born and when they left Ireland so we can try to help.
oops thanks very much for your help and advice will alert moderator

Offline clath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 14 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Good morning and welcome to RootsChat.  I'm confused about 'Castle Gardens.'  Do you think it is in Ireland or in the United States?  If the latter, then Castle Garden was the point of entry for immigrants to New York City up until about 1890.  If you think these people went first to the US before going on to Australia, they might have entered at Castle Garden.  You can read about it here:

http://www.castlegarden.org/
thank you for your reply. yes that's why I got confused. But think castle gardens is in Kilkenny. I went through some info last night and have Margaret Murphys date of death here in Australia and birth in Ireland. Said she was born castle gardens  county Kilkenny

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 14 00:46 GMT (UK) »
If you could give us an idea of dates we might be able to find more information or at least give general information.

Offline clath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 November 14 05:25 GMT (UK) »
If you could give us an idea of dates we might be able to find more information or at least give general information.

Hi I don't have any dates of when they came to Australia or when left Ireland. I have a few pics. Where they sit in my lineage don't know.
Names i have are a Annie Murphy. Mary Murphy , Margaret Murphy . As for Margaret Murphy GGG Grandmother ?? NO details of husband. I have a details of her death on a funeral card which reads. Margaret Murphy born Castle Garden's County Kilkenny Ireland 3rd feb 1803.
Died Carlton .Victoria 19th May 1887 interred Melbourne General .Cemetary.
Anne Crowe unsure whether her surname is her maiden or married . She was born Castle Gardens County Kilkenny Ireland 29th August 1841.
Died Epping Victoria 26th June 1886. Interred Melbourne General Cemetary.
William Crowe possibly Annes husband. Possible birth 1833. Born? Where? Also died Epping Victoria. 15th November 1884 aged 49.
I have a photo of a John William? Knox( photo taken by Geary brothers photographers Patrick St Kilkenny)
He married Ellen Murphy St Mary's Church West Melbourne. 1864?
John knox and Ellen Murphy are the parents of my grandmother Maryann Stewart nee knox.  .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 November 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths & Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages)- before those dates you'd need to search for church records (not all survive and of those that do not all are online).

Have a look at this topic- My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

It sounds as though you need to do a lot more research in Australia before you'd be ready to look for any Irish records. Birth, marriage and death certificates will allow you to pin down things like dates, spouses, parents, how long in Australia, etc., depending on which state the event took place. Newspaper clippings and cemetery records might also help. There are lots of links to information at the top of AUSTRALIA board.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Gardens Kilkenny to Melborne Australia Margaret Murphy and John Knox
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/bartres-castle-gardens-kilkenny-kilkenny/2821928

This property advertisement has an address Castle Gardens, Kilkenny.  Located in Kilkenny city.  Also close to Patrick St where photographer was located.