Author Topic: william gardiner  (Read 2005 times)

Offline oldfart1946

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william gardiner
« on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help with the parents of William Gardiner born 1774 Oxford married Sarah Smith 1793 Oxford.
many thanks
pete

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: william gardiner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
The Oxfordshire Family History Society’s Marriage Index shows one possible match but it’s in Iffley, not Oxford.  Here are the details from the Iffley PRs as transcribed by OxFHS:

2 July 1793   William GARDNER married Sarah SMITH, both of this parish, by banns.
      Witnesses were William (X) MONTAIN and John BECKETT (a regular witness).
      John CARR was the minister.

No other details were recorded in parish registers at that time, so there are no names of parents.

William and Sarah weren’t baptised in Iffley themselves, but appear to have baptised ten children there between 1794 and 1813.  I can list them for you if you haven’t already got them.  The 1813 record says that they were living in Littlemoor (now called Littlemore), most of which was part of Iffley parish until the 1830s.

You had a previous thread here about a GARDINER family with Littlemore connections – do you think they’re related?    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=275615.0

Hope this helps,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline oldfart1946

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william gardiner
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol
Many thanks for your reply. The Gardiner family are one of the same, they are from my mothers side. The information you gave will be of great help.
once again many thanks
pete