Author Topic: John Phillips marrying Margaret Williams  (Read 3777 times)

Offline cp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Phillips marrying Margaret Williams
« on: Sunday 09 November 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I am still struggling with my brick wall, can anyone help?  I can find no record of my great grandparents marriage. John Phillips was from Llangorse and Margaret Williams was from Talgarth.  All their cchildren were born in Talgarth,  I think the first was David in 1865, Def my grandfather in 1874 and their youngest Margaret Dora in 1884. The only marriage i have found with the correct names was in Neath and that was incorrect when i got the cert.
I have found the family on all the relevant census returns living in the Talgarth area. Without the marriage cert showing their parents I dare not move on to the ext generation which I think I know.  Thanks for reading this.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Phillips marrying Margaret Williams
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 14 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I see that there are two that fit John Phillips bn Llangorse in 1891 with wife Margaret. (The other one is bn c1840)
John Phillips   55 Llangorse, Breconshire
Margaret Phillips   47 Talgarth, Breconshire,
Edwin A Phillips   16
John Phillips   14
Maggie D Phillips 7
children born Talgarth, Breconshire,

1871 has these children
David Phillips   6
Joan Phillips   3
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,  thanks for your post. Yes these census returns are them, I also found the family in 1901 and 1911 but frustratingly no marriage.

Offline cp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to come at this from a different angle.  I followed a census return I had for a Margaret Williams with her family, mum and dad being Joan and David.  I have followed this because Margaret called her first children David and Joan, tenuous I know but ....
I have found the birth of Margarets brother David born in 1837. He was christened at Bethlehem Methodist Church,  Talgarth.  Sadly I can only find records for the period up to 1837. I am now looking for help with finding the records after this. I am really hoping that Margaret was not only christened there but married there too.