Author Topic: George and Helen Robertson, Melksham  (Read 7893 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: George and Helen Robertson, Melksham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 November 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
From your other post
I have his marraige certificate to my grandmother in England in 1917 where he cites his father as deceased and a railway fitter.

The 1901 for George senior has him in Melksham occupation Foreman Engineer. His son Robert on this census has his occupation as Engineers fitter Apprentice.  It is quite likely they are working at the same place  :-\  There is no mention of 'railway' on either census while they are in Melksham but there is mention of 'Engineering Works'

Was George snr working for the railway prior to their move to Melksham
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 November 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Well, just did a Google search. There was a Spencer & Co Ltd at Melksham, engineering both railway and general. An aerial photograph from 1933.

Link is - www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw041323.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 November 14 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Well, just did a Google search. There was a Spencer & Co Ltd at Melksham, engineering both railway and general. An aerial photograph from 1933.

This article just mentions industrial & agricultural engineering
http://www.melkshamtown.co.uk/melksham_tourism/melksham_history.shtml

Maybe Wiltshire records office would have information on the company

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 November 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »

This article just mentions industrial & agricultural engineering
http://www.melkshamtown.co.uk/melksham_tourism/melksham_history.shtml

Maybe Wiltshire records office would have information on the company

If you read all the text to your Link, the line was constructed as an offshoot of the GWR and designed by IK Brunel with workshops facilities. Opened 1848. I know where it was now. Driving down the A350 from Chippenham, as you enter the town, there's Leekes, MacDonalds Aldi's, Lidl's whatever on the right. Behind MacDonalds is Foundry Lane.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I found in Scots People the birth of this George Robertson father George mother Hellen for 1886, it gave the fathers occupation as engine fitter.  On George Robertsons married certificate to my Nan in 1917 (two months after leaving the Army) it states his father George Robertson as Railway engine fitter - deceased.

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I feel sure this family were employed locally possibly in one of the companies mentioned.  Someone on here has now found the death of Hellen and Robert which I did not find, thank you, can you please post further full details.  Although I did find John Oglivie Robertson and his father George Robertson on Ancestry. However to date I cannot find a death record for this George Robertson who was listed on the 1911 census as a joiner in Melkshum. The one the researcher says is my grandfather.   If I could find this then and it was not in July 1935 at Rochford, Essex it would confirm that the George Robertson listed on the England 1911 census employed as a joiner was not my grandfather. 

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 November 14 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Eight years ago, I lived in a village just outside Melksham. If I was still there I would go down the Public Library Monday morning (unless it's closed Mondays) and do a bit of digging. However, I've moved and it's too far.

There are Robertson's still in Melksham according to 192.com. I don't have the telephone directory.

Added later. Either there was a military connection or an engineering connection. Just possibly both. The other side of the now A 350 was marked as a rifle butts (Territorial Force rather than Regulars I would have thought) in the late 19th Century large OS maps. Spencer & Co Ltd were involved in the Works I provided a photo link(1933) for, from c1878. The branch line was probably a subsidiary of GWR to be known as The Wiltshire, Devonshire and Weymouth Railway originally.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 November 14 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Death September qtr 1909 
ROBERTSON  Robert
age  27   
Melksham   reg district 5a   55

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 November 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Do we know the latest date that George (b 1887) was resident in Melksham? It would seem unlikely that he would have left his mother Hellen on her own, so if her death is correct for 1944, and he did not pre-decease her (and I can't find a death that fits), when did he move ? And where?

From an earlier message you mentioned that you had a service number for him? Could you add it to the thread please.