Author Topic: Completed with Thanks - Frances Mylchreest of Malew  (Read 7643 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Completed with Thanks - Frances Mylchreest of Malew
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

This might be a long shot but I'm hoping someone might be able to help, maybe.

I've been tracking down information on my great-grandfather's siblings and their whereabouts (at least up to 1911). Myself and my Aunt are particularly interested in finding out what happened to the youngest child of the family (and, apparently, his favourite sibling), Frances Mylchreest.

She was born (or her birth was registered, according to iomfhs.im)    27 May 1886 in Malew to Thomas Mylchreest and Elizabeth Clague. I can find her with her parents in the 1891 and 1901 censuses, but after this I can't find any trace of her. It's possible she married or emigrated, though I'm more inclined to believe she died between 1901 and 1911 [in 1911 her parents are said to have had 11 children, with 5 still living, and if my other research is correct then Frances being dead at this point fits].

The only death I can find that could possibly fit our Frances is reference to a Fanny Mylchreest who dies in 1910. This is where the trouble is though. I was almost to the point of ordering the certificate from IOM gov when I realised the date I had from Lawsons was a burial date, not a death date, and after enquiring I was told that if the date given is incorrect, the £25 search fee still applies. I'm a little reluctant to pay £35 (£10 for the certificate) for a search over a matter of days, especially if this isn't even the right Frances, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a death date.

On Lawsons the date of burial is 24 Jun 1910. There's only the year 1910 on manxbmd.com. On familysearch there are two dates showing, though both are in the 'burial' line. One is from the Isle of Man Parish Registers, 1598-2009, and the date is 24 Jun 1910 (same as Lawsons). The second is from Isle of Man Deaths and Burials, 1844-1918, and the date is 27 Jun 1910.

Could the 24th actually be the date of her death and it's just been confused for her burial, or would the later burial date be when something was registered? Does anyone know of any other sites where I could look for a death date?

Many thanks for any help!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Mylchreest of Malew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Can you order using this reference from www.manxbmd.com/

Year     Surname   Name          Age   District     Vol   Page No   Notes
1910          Mylchreest   Fanny   24   Castletown     A1

About 2yrs ago I obtained a death cert from the IOM using the ref from the BMD index as shown above.  I didn't have to give any actual death date
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, I was told when I emailed I would be charged the search fee if I didn't have the exact date, but I'll try again with the bmd information and see if that helps.

Thanks!
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at www.imuseum.im?
Use the "Explore Family History" option.

Fanny, who was buried 24th June 1910, was 24 year old.

Depending on the weather(!!) I could take a look at the Parish Registers tomorrow?

Also, ManxBMD is not connected to The Civil Registry!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »
So, I took a walk down to the Manx Museum, and there are no parish registers as late as 1910!

However, I did look at the IoM Burial Index.
The only extra details are her address at death - 55 Queen Street, Castletown.

That address fits with the 1901 census! ;D
And is spot on for the 1911 census!  ;D

The family took some finding, though!
1891 census - Uhrest ::)
1901 census - Mylchrust ::)
1911 census - Mylchrust  ::)

I did notice, however, that Thomas & Elizabeth had 2 sets of twins?!
Catherine & Richard born 1880
Frances & Samuel born 1887
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar problem a while ago preventing me ordering a Manx death certificate. I used to be able to order without a date of death but now you have to have the date or pay a hefty search fee. I posted on this message board and someone found a gravestone inscription transcript that had the date of death on it:-

http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl

PS: I thought for a minute you were researching my great grandmother but she was older and born in Arbory.

Blue

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, KGarrad! That is so kind of you to go down there for us.

Don't worry about not finding the register. I got a reply from the IOM gov people [one day i'll remember the department name] and they said the date they had in their register, using the information from manxbmd, was 25th June 1910. I've no idea why the 24th and 27th are showing up, but if that's the one they have then I'll try that for ordering.

The fact that it's the family address and that Fanny is our Frances (how odd though she's registered with a nickname) makes me so happy. Sad that she didn't live very long, but at least we'll finally know what happened to her. Do you know the names of any local cemeteries where she may have been buried?

Hah, yes, it took quite some time to find them in 1891 originally!

And Catherine and Richard are their only twins. Samuel is actually their grandchild, illegitimate son of their daughter Margaret. He's recorded as his grandparents' son until 1911, when he becomes their grandson ;) he also lists them as his grandparents in his WW1 service record. The strange thing is that I think Samuel's parents [at least his mother marries someone called Samuel, which granted could be just a coincidence] later get married and have other children, but he never seems to be acknowledged as his father's child in the 1911 children count. A very interesting family.

But thank you again for all the help everyone, and thank you so much KGarrad for going to the museum. Everyone is so generous on this forum!

eta: Thanks Blue70! Hopefully I've found the right date and they won't charge me for the search fee, but I may try and ask on that forum anyway to see if anyone can find a headstone for her. It would be lovely to finish up what we have on the family - tricky things they've been! For a short while I believed they'd forgotten they had an extra daughter, then I realised their Elizabeth called herself Isabella on another census! As if the spelling mistakes for Mylchreest didn't make it tricky enough.

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
They'll charge a search fee if you don't have the date of death I would try to get the date before ordering. See below:-

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/registries/civil/deathcertificateapplication.pdf

Blue

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, sorry, I emailed the registry last night with the information I found on manxbmd.com (which had a register number) and someone responded that they had checked the register and found the date of death. It's different to the two I already found, but as it's from the registry itself, I'm going to go with that one.

Thanks though for the heads-up, I very nearly did that the first time around before I realised I had two conflicting dates, both of which were just for the burial!

Ta!