Author Topic: 1828 Marriage in Dundonald, Ayr  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1828 Marriage in Dundonald, Ayr
« on: Wednesday 12 November 14 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
Some years ago I received from Scots Origins (I think) an Extract of Births Deaths and Marriages for the marriage for John Gibson and Mary Brown, both of this parish.
There are no ages, no names of parents, or witnesses.
All the marriages on the page are the same.

As the song goes "Is that all there is?"
How do I get back to their parents, etc.
Thank You
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1828 Marriage in Dundonald, Ayr
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 08:36 GMT (UK) »
As the song goes "Is that all there is?"
Yes.

How do I get back to their parents, etc.
It depends!

Did they die in Scotland after 1855? if they did, there should be death certificates that will tell you the names of their parents. Death certificates are online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - pay-per-view but reasonably priced. Married women should be indexed under both their maiden and their married surnames.

If they died in Scotland before 1855, or emigrated and died elsewhere, it's going to be difficult to get further back.

Scotland's People lists five children of John Gibson and Mary Brown
Jean, baptised 30 July 1824, Dundonald
Mary, baptised 20 June 1826, Houston
William, baptised 7 December 1828, Paisley
John, baptised 15 November 1829, Dundonald
Andrew, baptised 10 July 1831, Dundonald

The 1841 census transcription at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl lists a family at Church Street, Johnstone, Renfrewshire consisting of Mary Gibson, 45, born Ireland; Jane, 15; Mary, 14; William, 12; Robert, 10, all born Renfrewshire. All but Robert are cotton weavers. This may or may not be your Gibsons. The ages of Jane*, Mary and William match the baptism dates, but Robert doesn't. John would have been 11 and Andrew would have been 9 on census day 1841.

*Jane would have been 16, but in 1841 ages of those aged 15 or more were rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Mary could have been any age from 45 to 49.

You may be able to find them in the 1851 census at SP but as all the children would have been old enough to leave home by then it could be quite a challenge.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1828 Marriage in Dundonald, Ayr
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 14 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,
Thank you for confirming my worst thoughts. At least now I know I did get everything available from Scots Origins.

They both ended up in Tasmania - with three children. He died in Tasmania in 1879 so his death certificate will not give me any more information. She died in Victoria 10 years later - her death certificate does give parents' names ( James Brown and Janet Shields). - But I cannot find a marriage for these two names in Irvine (where Mary Brown was born).
As John Gibson was a master mariner and his father is supposed to be a pilot in the Irish Sea I will go back to researching the seafaring side.
Thank you for reading my question.
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,