Author Topic: 1836 great tew baptism lookup please  (Read 2179 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
1836 great tew baptism lookup please
« on: Thursday 13 November 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there my fifth great grandparents were William spencer and Elizabeth miller they were innkeepers at great tew faulkand arms from at least 1841, William spencer died 1852 and his wife took over until her death in 1879 then their son took over.

I was wondering if someone can lookup the baptism of their son William baptised 5 june 1836, I wanted to know if it stated his father William as a innkeeper so I know his occupation pre 1841 census please? thankyou

PS they had children Samuel (my fourth great 1816) deddington

mary 18 December 1817 deddington
Elizabeth 13 January 1820 deddington, died 1831 great tew?
Richard 15 may 1822 deddington
Edward 1824 great tew
eliza 1827 great tew
matilda 1829 great tew
emma 1833 great tew
Adelaide ruth 1835 great tew
William 1836 great tew
ellen/hellen 1840-41

if anyone can find any of the others I would love to know the abode if stated and occupation of father William thankyou

PS can I squeeze in another my fourth great grandfather Samuel had a son called Thomas baptised 26 april 1857 and henry 27 nov 1859 great tew can someone please find this one too along with abode and fathers occupation thankyou

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1836 great tew baptism lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
William was baptised 12 Nov 1837 s/o William & Elizabeth victualler (born 4 Oct)   No William in 1836.

Others at Great Tew:
1824 15 Aug Edward father publican
1827 16 Jan Eliza       "       victualler
1829 25 Jun Matilda   "          "
1833 15 Aug Emma    "          "
1835 11 Nov Adelaide "          "
1837 12 Nov William   "          "
1840 4 Oct Ellen        "           "      (born 31 Jul)

1857 26 Apr Thomas s/o Samuel & Ann   Lab
1859 27 Nov Henry    "      "             "       "

No abode given in transcriptions.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 14 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, duplicate post.

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 November 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for finding all those for me very kind of you.

AT least I know he was the innkeeper at Falkland arms great tew from at least 1824. I did visit the pub 2 years ago but sadly they didn't have much info on previous innkeepers there, I was hoping they would of kept a photo of Williams wife Elizabeth who was innkeeper there until here death in 1879 but I didn't ask.

Would I be able to get any more information about them? I guess they would of been well known in the small village at that time?

PS is there a difference between a publican and victualler?

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a difference between a publican and a victualler.  There were three basic types of sellers of alcohol:

Beer Seller or Beer Shop Keeper - was licensed to sell only beer, sometimes home brewed especially in rural locations.

Publican - licenced to sell beer, spirits and wines.

Victualler or Licenced Victualler - as a Publican but also licenced to sell food.

The licence holder was responsible for the running of the premises, its success or failure!  He/she may have delegated that responsibility to a manager especially in a town where he/she may have been licensed for several premises.

In rural locations or small hamlet/villages towns the Licensed Victualler may have had an establishment that was a sort of coaching inn on a small scale hence selling food.  Thanks for asking that question, last year I researched all the licence holders for all the 40+ premises in Littlehampton and that difference didn't occur to me but now I think about it those premises that were associated with coaching were run by Licensed Victuallers, the other sizeable premises by Publicans and all the 'back street' premises by Beer sellers etc.

It would be worth trying to find trade directories of that period as they give a good indication as to size of the premises, generally if listed a sizeable place, if not a smaller place possibly run from the front room of their house.  This might be a good starting point:  http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4/hd/index.asp

There's also this link:  http://pubhistory.co.uk/Oxfordshire/GreatTew/FalklandArms.shtml

Hope this helps.