Author Topic: Lost & Discouraged  (Read 6825 times)

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lost & Discouraged
« on: Thursday 13 November 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
A year or so ago, on one of the many Gen boards I frequent, a generous soul provided me with a wealth of info from the 1841 Wales census (and perhaps others). Of course Fate then crashed my computer and failed my backup discs, and I cannot locate where I'd been or who I've talked to . . . I'm back to banging my head against the same brick wall, ISO two different William Williams from Wales.

1st....... William Williams was married to a Maria Thomas b. 1809. Their children were: William b. 1832, Thomas b. 1836, Elizabeth b. 1837, Mary "Polly" b. 1840, Martha b. 1842, Maria b. 1845, James b. 1847, and John b. 1849. Young Martha later married John Fry b. 1825 in Wales, the son of Samuel Fry b. 1796 d. 1870 and a Mary b. 1798. I believe they're listed alongside the Williams family in the census for 1841 in Monmouthshire. Parish of Llanvihangel, Llantarnam.

2nd....... William Williams b. abt. 1804 in Wales. Married an unknown, father to John Williams b. Jan 1845 in Wales. I do have a notation that leads me to believe this branch was found in the 1851 census for Carmarthenshire. John married an Annie b. 1850 in Germany and it's possible they married and had a child in Wales before moving to America, Thomas H. b. 31 Jan 1869 (possibly on 1871 Wales census?). The family is listed on US census for Highland, Clay, Kansas by 1880.

I have to wonder if the two William Williams connect back to each other, or perhaps are even one in the same? I recall that in the 1841 census only, ages were rounded to the nearest 5th year. Any help here would be appreciated greatly - and written in ink by hand from now on, haha! Thanks!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost & Discouraged
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

I can see the Fry family in 1841 & 1851, but there isn't a Williams family next door

1841 Garnwen, Llanvihangel Llantarnam HO107/749/15 folio 10 pg 11
Samuel Fry 35 butcher
Mary 30
George 13
John 10
Elizabeth 8
Thomas 6
Samuel & Mary not born in county, others born in county

1851 Mountain House, Lantarnam HO107/2453 folio 251 pg 22
Samuel Fry head mar 55 farmer of 10 acres b. Summersetshire
Mary wife 53 b. Summersetshire
John son 25 miner b. Monmouthshire
Elizabeth dau 23 b. Monmouthshire
Thomas son 19 miner b. Monmouthshire
William Tuvy lodger 21 miner b. Glostershire

Possible for John son of William in 1851
Pentwyn, Myddfai, Carmarthenshire HO107/2470 folio 266 pg 9
William Williams head mar 47 farmer 55 acres b. Cayo
Margaret wife 36
Eleanor dau 10
David son 8
John son 6
Mary dau 3
Morgun son 3 m
all born Myddfai except William.
There are 2 Johns born Myddfai on the census so not possible to know if this one is your man without a marriage certificate for the one still in Wales in later years to check father's name.

I haven't spotted the other Williams family as yet.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if your Williams family for Martha, wife of john Fry is correct, as she's shown on later censuses consistently b c1837 (in Cirencester)

indeed, why do you think he married a Martha Williams? John Fry and wife are in Aberdare on 1871, with oldest child aged 8. There is a marriage in Merthyr Tydfil district (which covers Aberdare) in 1862 (Q1, vol 11a p357) involving a John and a Martha Hall. I can see a Martha Hall who fits the bill perefectly for age and place of birth on earlier censuses

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 14 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Also John who marries Martha is b c1841 - so not the one in Llantarnam. Martha's husband was b Cossington, Somerset (appears to be son of William and Hannah) and is in Aberdare in 1861.

I think we need to go back to basics - is it this John and Martha you are interested in, or a Martha Williams?

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

I can see the Fry family in 1841 & 1851, but there isn't a Williams family next door

1841 Garnwen, Llanvihangel Llantarnam HO107/749/15 folio 10 pg 11
Samuel Fry 35 butcher
Mary 30
George 13
John 10
Elizabeth 8
Thomas 6
Samuel & Mary not born in county, others born in county

1851 Mountain House, Lantarnam HO107/2453 folio 251 pg 22
Samuel Fry head mar 55 farmer of 10 acres b. Summersetshire
Mary wife 53 b. Summersetshire
John son 25 miner b. Monmouthshire
Elizabeth dau 23 b. Monmouthshire
Thomas son 19 miner b. Monmouthshire
William Tuvy lodger 21 miner b. Glostershire

Thank you!!! Yes, this is them! By 1860 the family is listed as FRYE in the US census for Reilly, Schuylkill, PA. By 1870 Samuel was living with his granddaughter Elizabeth and her husband William Toney (Torrey) in Branch Dale, Schuylkill County, PA. John Fry(e) is listed on the 1870 census for Williams, Dauphin County, PA and died a year later, 12 Nov 1871. Huzzah! ;D

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if your Williams family for Martha, wife of john Fry is correct, as she's shown on later censuses consistently b c1837 (in Cirencester)

indeed, why do you think he married a Martha Williams? John Fry and wife are in Aberdare on 1871, with oldest child aged 8. There is a marriage in Merthyr Tydfil district (which covers Aberdare) in 1862 (Q1, vol 11a p357) involving a John and a Martha Hall. I can see a Martha Hall who fits the bill perefectly for age and place of birth on earlier censuses

By 1860 my Fry family had come to America and were living in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania. Martha lived until 1931. Her parents were William Williams b. 2 Dec 1803 Wales d. 2 Dec 1883 Williamstown PA. and his wife Maria Thomas b. 1809 Wales d. 28 Dec 1857 Lewellyn PA. In the 1850 & 1870 censuses for Schuylkill, PA, this William Williams is listed as having been born in Cayo, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 December 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Also John who marries Martha is b c1841 - so not the one in Llantarnam. Martha's husband was b Cossington, Somerset (appears to be son of William and Hannah) and is in Aberdare in 1861.

I think we need to go back to basics - is it this John and Martha you are interested in, or a Martha Williams?

Perhaps it's another branch of the Fry(e) family that also married into a Williams family . . . they're everywhere! Finding their locations in Wales to begin was a HUGE break for me . . . thank you both so much for helping me recover my lost treasure! Now to continue on backwards down the line . . . Samuel & Mary "not born in county, others born in county" - one wall falls another goes up!

I found a notation that the other William Williams b. 1804 Wales was married to an Annie b 1810, their son being John Williams b. Jan 1845 in Wales (according to 1880 US census) who also married an Annie b. Jan 1850 in Germany. They had a tassel of children, the first being born in 1869, John, and the last being my great-grandfather Fred William Williams b Nov 1893. In 1880 the family is in Highland, Clay Kansas and the father William Williams is also listed with them as a laborer, he was 76 at the time. By 1920 the elderly John & Annie Williams were living with their daughter Olive and her husband William Boone in Porter, Schuylkill PA.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 December 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
the 1851 census I gave you gives the place of birth for Samuel & Mary as Somerset.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Chalk me up as blind too, I read that as countRy... not county. Lol! Now it all makes sense.  ;D