Author Topic: Lost & Discouraged  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost & Discouraged
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Just on the off chance in your 2nd post you state that the 1870 census for PA shows Samuel Fry was living with his granddaughter Elizabeth and her husband William Toney (Torrey).  If you had meant living with his daughter Elizabeth and her husband it just struck me that the 21 year old William Tuvy who was a lodger (miner) in 1851 would be a very good candidate for a mistranscribed William Toney (Torrey) if the 1870 census shows his birthplace as England?

The similarity just struck me as I was reading through the thread.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 December 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Just on the off chance in your 2nd post you state that the 1870 census for PA shows Samuel Fry was living with his granddaughter Elizabeth and her husband William Toney (Torrey).  If you had meant living with his daughter Elizabeth and her husband it just struck me that the 21 year old William Tuvy who was a lodger (miner) in 1851 would be a very good candidate for a mistranscribed William Toney (Torrey) if the 1870 census shows his birthplace as England?

The similarity just struck me as I was reading through the thread.

Pheno

As it turns out I did mean daughter... bad morning for typing it seems lol. And you are probably correct, dates match and location match ... William Toney/Torrey 40 b. Eng 1830 . . . !!!!  :o ;D

Offline Elaine Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all again, so very helpful!

osprey, you provided exactly what I needed to track down some original posts elsewhere . . . can't thank you enough!

Pheno . . . in the original posts I found elsewhere, whoever did the transcribing had the tenant as William LEWY . . . but I tend to agree with osprey's interpretation Turvey, and the Toney/Torrey connection you made. I never would have made that going off of Lewy. Much appreciated!

Fresh eyes can make a world of difference . . . !

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have been of help.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire