Author Topic: Lavender, Duffell, DeVerrye & Percye (in and around Burwash)  (Read 5890 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lavender, Duffell, DeVerrye & Percye (in and around Burwash)
« on: Friday 14 November 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm aware that these names have been discussed in an earlier thread (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=509197.0), but that one can no longer be posted to, being so old.

This is not so much a request for information, since we all seem to be in the same boat with these surnames, not having a lot of success in taking the lines back further, but more a wish to connect with others looking for members of these families.

I also wanted to put my £0.02 in. On the old thread, one member speculated that the name Petri (as in Petri Lavender) was Finnish or Basque. Whilst this is true of the name Petri, in the case of Lavender, I suspect it's just the Latin genitive form of Petrus, i.e. Peter. It wasn't at all unusual for mid-16th century clergy to record things in Latin, so it may have come from something like "Elizabetha uxor Petri Lavender" ("Elizabeth the wife of Peter Lavender).

I'm also wondering (out loud) whether DeVerrye and Percye are corruptions/mishearings/variant spellings of De Vere and Percy. Some people seem to think so, using the escutcheon (shield) from the De Vere arms to identify Elizabeth DeVerrye on Ancestry...but not all on Ancestry is what it seems... I'm not aware of the De Veres having anything to do with Sussex (I thought they were mainly based in Essex), but the Percys had some land in Sussex so I wonder if Joan Percye (Peter Lavender's son Adrian's mother-in-law) was part of a cadet branch.

One member also stated that the Lavenders tended to marry into armorial families, which would fit with the likes of the De Veres and the Percys, but, having checked the Heralds' Visitations for Sussex, I can't find any mention of any of these surnames, which strikes me as a bit odd.

I'd be interested in hearing from other people trying to find out about this bunch.  :)

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline jezzer17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lavender, Duffell, DeVerrye & Percye (in and around Burwash)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 December 14 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Martin

Many thanks for your throughts the lavenders did indeed marry into several armorial families being the haffendens,lades, and the vidlers, and isteds,  the vidler line includes the Montague's and a direct line to Charlemagne being my 38th great grandfather.

I am Jeremy lavender  and petri is my ancestor along with Elizabeth de verrye, she is buried in st Marys warbleton,  a john lavender and a william were also both landowners in the 17th and early 18th centry around pevensey and hooe as well as battle in Sussex, john having  also been summoned to attend a meeting of the knights of the county in the 17th centry to vote for the new lord lt of the county.

As to  any arms i have not found any, apart from a small reference in a book some time ago which does not fully describe the arms said to that of lavender and no reference to them on the visitations, a full check at the heralds office is expensive.

Elizabeth has been hard to track down on de verrye and any reference to pertri side, ive come up with nothing before 1500 not in Sussex anyway, de verrye again not sure if the spelling is correct or a bastardisation of  de vere ive not followed up, but one day i will do some more

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Jeremy,

I am interested to see your mention of the Isted family.  Could you give me details of the marriage(s) between an Isted and a Lavender? 

I have done lots of Isted research both in the two Sussex' Archives and at Kew but haven't yet come across that name?  ::)

With my Uncle I run the Isted DNA project - we are struggling to find many suitable male candidates for testing - maybe there's a whole branch hiding out there somewhere!  :o

Thank you,

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jezzer17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Liz
my tree is on ancestry as lavenders of warbleton sussex and is a publuc tree by all means you can look
george isted 1862 married kate lavender

:) Hi Jeremy,

I am interested to see your mention of the Isted family.  Could you give me details of the marriage(s) between an Isted and a Lavender? 

I have done lots of Isted research both in the two Sussex' Archives and at Kew but haven't yet come across that name?  ::)

With my Uncle I run the Isted DNA project - we are struggling to find many suitable male candidates for testing - maybe there's a whole branch hiding out there somewhere!  :o

Thank you,

Liz
[/quote]

Offline sparkles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I also have Elizabeth de Verrye in my tree. She is my 11 x g grandmother. Her 3 x g grandaughter Lydia Lavender married my 6 x g grandfather Richard Bailey. I am also a Haffenden on my maternal side.

Christine
nicol- banffshire
dick- fife
gibbs- middlesex,northampton
constable- middlesex
gale-essex
bailey - sussex
haffenden-sussex,kent
McAllister/Bradley/Tierney- county derry
Williamson/Higginson-Belfast

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
 :o Lavender, Duffell , de Verrye mystery possibly solved :o

(Still not sure where the Percyes fit in)

I was doing one of my periodical, half-hearted searches for any information on the above names a couple of days ago, when, lo and behold, I actually turned up some useful information, which might solve the mystery of where some of these families came from. Goodness knows what I typed this time that was different.

Anyway, to paraphrase Radiohead (in their song Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box), it seems we've been looking in the wrong place - we should have been looking further afield for their origins:

Basically, it seems they were French iron workers.

Although there is an existing English surname Lavender, in this instance, it looks like the name is a corruption of "la Fonderie" ("the foundry"), so may well be an epithet given to Peter/Petri as opposed to his original name. "Duffell" is most likely a corruption of "Duval". "De Verrye", on the other hand, survived the trip to England unscathed. It is likely that Elizabeth de Verrye was the granddaughter of the first de Verrye to come to England, John/Jean de Verrye, since she was born in about 1557 and he in Beaussault, Normandy in either 1487 or 1497 (also, he had a son called John and her father, apparently, was called John).

Still none the wiser re the Percyes. Apparently, the aristocratic Percy family did have holdings in Sussex and may have been involved in the iron industry, but any more is pure speculation at the moment.

Here's the blog entry that put me on this trail: https://bucksgenes.blogspot.com/search/label/Lavender

And here's the very useful website I found with information on Sussex iron foundry workers: http://www.wealdeniron.org.uk (use the "Sites and People Database" link). Both Peter Lavender and John de Verrey (spelt as de Vere) are on it.
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline KENSX

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 22 15:06 BST (UK) »
In April2022 I received, from a cousin, an eight- generation descent chart starting with John de Vere and ending with the children of the marriage of Ann Lavender to Benjamin Foster. It was immediately apparent that there was an error made within the summary of the final generation which has caused us to work back in time with great caution. At this date we are having great difficulty in finding any evidence of the marriage of William Lavender to an Alice Jarrett mentioned in generation five.
I am presently working on an indictment for theft of property belonging to Petri Lavender and dated 1617. The suspensions and contractions in the Latin are proving somewhat difficult to say the least. Both my cousin and I have copies of the two volume Adventure in Iron by Brian G. Awty